How to change pre-login image in Windows 8

Anonymous
2012-12-19T22:22:59+00:00

This is a home computer that has several accounts.  The image displayed is Seattle which is not the lock image for any account (including the hidden administrator account).  I would like to change this pre-login/sign-out image to something (anything) else.   What steps do I need to take to avoid having to look at this stupid image (sorry Microsoft, not all of us are from Seattle nor want any image that looks drawn from crayons)?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-20T15:57:26+00:00

Hi Gator,

We are glad to assist you with the issue on Microsoft Community.

Before I approach towards any suggestion, I would like to collect some information on thsis issue:

Are you referring to the Local screen on the computer?

If you are referring to Lock screen on the computer, then let us try the following steps by navigating to “Change PC settings” on the computer.

Please follow the steps:

a) Press Windows and c key together to open the Charms bar.

b) Click on Settings.

c) Click on Change PC settings option at the bottom of the charms bar.

d) Click on Personalize option.

e) Click on Lock Screen.

f) Choose the required picture you want to save as the lock screen picture.

You may refer to the link below in response to this query:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/change-backgrounds-pictures#1TC=t1

Hope it helps. Please write us if it does not resolves the query.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-23T07:33:44+00:00

http://superuser.com/questions/484206/how-can-i-change-the-lock-screen-in-windows-8-that-appears-for-the-default-user

To make a change that is resilient to changing screen resolutions, replace C:\Windows\Web\Screen\img100.pngwith your new picture. Then delete the resized image caches from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z. You'll need to take ownership of the folders/files in question to access them.

Alternative: Disable the lock screen. To do this, search Settigns for "group policy". Navigate to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, Personalization. Set "Do not display the lock screen" to Enabled.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-19T02:49:10+00:00

    See the answer that ASlugWithAQuestion gave on 12/23/12.  It allowed me to fix the image being displayed for pre-login.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-19T11:52:28+00:00

    Thanks Gator_Bytes. I took a look at this just now and I very much suspect this would do it. However, I don't feel comfortable taking control of the files over from the TrustedInstaller so I'm not going ahead with it.

    I really appreciate your help (you too ASlugWithAQuestion) but I would like Microsoft to provide a simple user/administrator mechanism for doing this change. It doesn't seem like it would be very hard for MS to add a simple function/utility for it. This would be useful for corporate branding of PCs so I think it would make both general PC users and corporate customers happy if MS did.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-21T06:43:30+00:00

    Hi!

    There si a group policy setting for this (at least in Enterprise version, I'm not sure for others):

    Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Personalization -> Force a specific default lock screen image

    There you can select path to lock screen image.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments