How to change pre-login image in Windows 8

Anonymous
2012-12-19T22:22:59+00:00

This is a home computer that has several accounts.  The image displayed is Seattle which is not the lock image for any account (including the hidden administrator account).  I would like to change this pre-login/sign-out image to something (anything) else.   What steps do I need to take to avoid having to look at this stupid image (sorry Microsoft, not all of us are from Seattle nor want any image that looks drawn from crayons)?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-20T15:57:26+00:00

Hi Gator,

We are glad to assist you with the issue on Microsoft Community.

Before I approach towards any suggestion, I would like to collect some information on thsis issue:

Are you referring to the Local screen on the computer?

If you are referring to Lock screen on the computer, then let us try the following steps by navigating to “Change PC settings” on the computer.

Please follow the steps:

a) Press Windows and c key together to open the Charms bar.

b) Click on Settings.

c) Click on Change PC settings option at the bottom of the charms bar.

d) Click on Personalize option.

e) Click on Lock Screen.

f) Choose the required picture you want to save as the lock screen picture.

You may refer to the link below in response to this query:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/change-backgrounds-pictures#1TC=t1

Hope it helps. Please write us if it does not resolves the query.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-23T07:33:44+00:00

http://superuser.com/questions/484206/how-can-i-change-the-lock-screen-in-windows-8-that-appears-for-the-default-user

To make a change that is resilient to changing screen resolutions, replace C:\Windows\Web\Screen\img100.pngwith your new picture. Then delete the resized image caches from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z. You'll need to take ownership of the folders/files in question to access them.

Alternative: Disable the lock screen. To do this, search Settigns for "group policy". Navigate to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, Personalization. Set "Do not display the lock screen" to Enabled.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-12T01:35:17+00:00

    This is the same answer I'm looking for  Why is it so dam hard to understand  First there is thelock screenon start up Then click enter or any key and thelog in screenappears This is the screen I want to changeIt was fine until I tried accessing this stupidMicrosoft store appand had to create an account with a password and got locked out of my computer because this dumb **** app changed my settings Was unable to log in with computer password and now have to log in with Microsoft store app account password and I don't like the new computer log in screen My lock screen and desktop screens are fine Just do not like this log in screen or my new password (which I created out of anger)!!!     #profanitywasusedinmynewpassword

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-05T14:15:46+00:00

    when I first turn on my computer there is a screen picture  How do I change that picture  I was able to change my profile picture

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-05T19:11:53+00:00

    Exactly!    I want to customize the background screen where the user types in their password.   Why is that so F*kn' difficult to understand?    I want to put my company's logo there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments