Windows Store - Error code 0x80073cf6

Anonymous
2013-04-01T08:01:07+00:00

I cannot install MS Mahjong, MS Minesweeper and MS solitaire collection from MS Store using Windows 8 PC. Getting error message "MS Mahjong cannot be installed error code 0x80073cf6". How do I resolve this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-29T06:28:25+00:00

If you want to download apps from the Windows Store, you’ll need to use a Microsoft account.

Switch a local account to Microsoft Account.

a) Press “Windows + I” to open settings option.

b) Select Change Pc settings.

c) Select User account.

d) On the right side, it will show your current account with a option that says “**Switch to a Microsoft account”.**e) Once you have setup your Microsoft account (this requires a Windows Live ID (Hotmail or MSN, Outlook.com). Enter the new email address and this will change the email address.

For more information on user account, refer to the articles.

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-user-account

Which user account is right for me?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/which-user-account-for-me

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/microsoft-account#1TC=t1

If you have further questions, please do post your query in Microsoft Community. We will be glad to assist you.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-01T21:08:56+00:00

Hi Brett,

Let’s place the computer in clean boot state and try to install the MS Mahjong, MS Minesweeper and MS solitaire collection.

To help troubleshoot error message, you can start Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: To reset the computer to normal mode after troubleshooting, please follow “**How to reset the computer to start as usual”**from the above article.

For more information, refer to the links.

**Why can't I find or install an app from the Windows Store?******

What to do if you have problems with an app

Please update us with the results and we will be happy to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-06T09:55:55+00:00

    I logged in as another user on the same computer. There seem everything is working OK. It is definitely something wrong with my user profile. Unfortunately, I cannot re-create this user account because there is already lots of commercial software have being  installed and configured. Some apps (mentioned photo viewer, calculator etc ) are broken. Now I see numerous of forum posts about this. I've tried "some posted solutions" which did work for somebody and did not for others but am still having the same trouble: broken apps and code 0x80073cf6 if I am trying to update.

    Microsoft should definitely release a user account/profile recovering tool. That will be a solution to many user problems posted by thousands of people already.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-06T09:18:37+00:00

    I am configuring Windows 10 computer at my work place and getting the same error code 0x80073CF6. This is an "internally public" computer for my colleagues and students. Obviously, I cannot and should not use mine or others Microsoft account. Now, I need to update Microsoft Photo Viewer. And I cannot do that without adding Microsoft account. How stupid is that? Why Microsoft do not allow us, legal Windows users, update free apps which in turn are part of the Windows itself?

    I was forced to install an open source image viewer because of this issue. Idea of account-bound Apps on Windows platform is useless for public or general usage computers. Once again, business is business and you Microsoft will loose your share of the PC market if you will continue pursuing similar stupid inventions. It indeed smells as another genius middle layer management inside Microsoft who is pushing strategically stupid features doomed as a big failure at larger scale and future time.

    You would probably get the error with a Microsoft account as well. Try to fix that using the solutions provided here and there and open a separate thread if you want to rant about the need for a Microsoft account when installing apps.

    I think you can update apps with a local non Microsoft account as well. And even if that is not possible, that is not much different from other OS delivering companies.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-06T07:56:18+00:00

    I am configuring Windows 10 computer at my work place and getting the same error code 0x80073CF6. This is an "internally public" computer for my colleagues and students. Obviously, I cannot and should not use mine or others Microsoft account. Now, I need to update Microsoft Photo Viewer. And I cannot do that without adding Microsoft account. How stupid is that? Why Microsoft do not allow us, legal Windows users, update free apps which in turn are part of the Windows itself?

    I was forced to install an open source image viewer because of this issue. Idea of account-bound Apps on Windows platform is useless for public or general usage computers. Once again, business is business and you Microsoft will loose your share of the PC market if you will continue pursuing similar stupid inventions. It indeed smells as another genius middle layer management inside Microsoft who is pushing strategically stupid features doomed as a big failure at larger scale and future time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments