Can't open my external hard disk, it's saying to Format it.

Anonymous
2013-01-02T06:16:46+00:00

Original title: Cant open my external hard disk

I cant open my external hard drive. It says I have to format it. In computer it just show Local Disk K but there is no storage reading.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-23T09:15:52+00:00

    Hi Celine,

    1. Are you facing the issue with all the external devices you are trying to connect the computer?
    2. Did you try connecting the device to a different computer and check?
    3. Which version of Windows operating system are you using?
    4. Did you try the steps provided in the previous posts to fix the issue?

    Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-15T08:13:05+00:00

    Will the disk keep the data after I format it with this Easeus  Partition Master Home Edition software?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-15T11:37:38+00:00

    By definition: if you format the disk, the data is gone.  At least any you do not have a proper backup (copy) of.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-17T04:34:54+00:00

    I was backing my files on my hard disc and I can not figure out what happened It will not open at all. What went wrong

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-11-29T19:25:46+00:00

    Thanks this solved it for me, i did not want to lose the data at all and this fixed it for me. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments