Can't open my external hard disk, it's saying to Format it.

Anonymous
2013-01-02T06:16:46+00:00

Original title: Cant open my external hard disk

I cant open my external hard drive. It says I have to format it. In computer it just show Local Disk K but there is no storage reading.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-15T21:31:04+00:00

    I am not familiar with hardware but managed to open my Seagate 3T external hard drive and bought a SATA connector as advised.  I thought if I just plugged it in, I'd be able to get the information, but it says I must format and will lose all my data.  That's exactly the reason I got the SATA connector in the first place, so that I could get the data from the HD.   

    I am having the same issue as what is mentioned above with exactly the same error messages and do not want to lose all the data on my HD by formatting it.  Can you please help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-23T19:54:19+00:00

    i had the same problem too , please help me , my email address esraa_******@hotmail.com

    i have very important data in my hard drive

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-11T11:43:33+00:00

    hi nav,

    evn i got the same error on my external harddisk. can u pls help me with it.

    ur email id is removed for privacy. i need my data to be safe.

    Pls get bck to me or mail me at ******@gmail.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-07-10T16:30:49+00:00

    Hi,

    Considering the age of the thread and to avoid confusion, if the troubleshooting steps in this thread did not resolve your issue I would recommend creating a new thread so that the community can focus on that thread. Refer to the following link prior to posting a question so that you may provide all the relevant information, for us to help you:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments