Can't open my external hard disk, it's saying to Format it.

Anonymous
2013-01-02T06:16:46+00:00

Original title: Cant open my external hard disk

I cant open my external hard drive. It says I have to format it. In computer it just show Local Disk K but there is no storage reading.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-15T22:01:29+00:00

    My email is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.  Thanks for your assistance!

    Two points:

    1. See how your message turns out above? Note the "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" in particular.
    2. My whole thing is that non-public assistance on a public forum just spells out, "Pssst... Combe back here in this dark alley.  Sure I can help you out.  Remember - the first hit is FREE!"

    Why'd you buy a SATA connector for an external drive?

    Do you mean you have an internal drive you bought an external SATA to USB adapter for - but you are getting the message about needing to format first?  What happened (to the drive or the system it was in, etc.) that you need to access this internal drive externally?

    Do you mean you had an external USB 3TB drive and you broke it open, purchased a SATA cable and plugged it inside your machine to access and are getting the message about needing to format first?  What happened to the external drive that you need to access this external drive internally?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-15T21:42:51+00:00

    My email is ******@yahoo.ca.  Thanks for your assistance!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-15T21:35:40+00:00

    I had the same problem. so pls share a solution on mail ID *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

    What's with the lack of public assistance going on in this conversation?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-15T21:34:48+00:00

    I had same problem I fixed it without losing data email me *** Email address is removed for privacy *** I will give u solution but I need more info. And the data is safe after being fixed guaranteed.

    What's with the lack of public assistance going on in this conversation?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-09-15T21:34:20+00:00

    please send me your e-amil adress , since i had same problem with  WD-diks

    had to preform chdks /f  X:  everytime in Dosbox

    What's with the lack of public assistance going on in this conversation?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments