Can't open my external hard disk, it's saying to Format it.

Anonymous
2013-01-02T06:16:46+00:00

Original title: Cant open my external hard disk

I cant open my external hard drive. It says I have to format it. In computer it just show Local Disk K but there is no storage reading.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-10T20:37:31+00:00

    This is a peer-to-peer public worldwide forum.  I'd say either the 'solution' is posted in public or it is not worth the risk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-10T19:57:26+00:00

    I have the same problem, my hdd does not want to open, can you please help with the solution. it seems like there are solutions but they are only been shared via emails.

    can you please email me the solutions to resolve this problem, i dont want to lose my data. my emails ******@gmail.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T06:44:14+00:00

    Hello nav197707, i have the same problem.. could please help by mailing me the solution.. because i need the data very urgently.. i do not want loose it.. please mail me as early as possible..

    My mail id is ******@live.com

    Thank You

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-02T13:22:08+00:00

    Hi, I have Seagate Free Go Agent External hard drive of 1 TB. In this 200 GB is free, remaining has all my documents such as photos, doc files, pdf files, music, movies, various soft ware, etc.

    I have been using this external hard drive since July 2010 and it gave me no problem. Three days back when I inserted to my laptop port it asked me to format and refusing to identify. Some time when I try to open, it takes long time, it hangs my system, it changes my computer date all of a sudden and finally the message "I/O" problem comes.

    I changed the hard disks letter from "I" to "M", but still it does not open. I use HP Dv 6 series laptop with original Windows 7 Ultimate.

    I checked my external hard drive. It shows my name, how much space is already used and how much space is left. But it does not open, again "I/O" problem message comes.

    I do not want to format my external hard disk and can not offered to lose my data. Kindly help.

    Does it work on another computer without the error?

    If not, refer to your backup copy and quickly replace that defective drive and make a new backup copy.

    If you have no backups, when did that data become something you could not afford to lose?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-02T07:38:18+00:00

    Hi, I have Seagate Free Go Agent External hard drive of 1 TB. In this 200 GB is free, remaining has all my documents such as photos, doc files, pdf files, music, movies, various soft ware, etc.

    I have been using this external hard drive since July 2010 and it gave me no problem. Three days back when I inserted to my laptop port it asked me to format and refusing to identify. Some time when I try to open, it takes long time, it hangs my system, it changes my computer date all of a sudden and finally the message "I/O" problem comes.

    I changed the hard disks letter from "I" to "M", but still it does not open. I use HP Dv 6 series laptop with original Windows 7 Ultimate.

    I checked my external hard drive. It shows my name, how much space is already used and how much space is left. But it does not open, again "I/O" problem message comes.

    I do not want to format my external hard disk and can not offered to lose my data. Kindly help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments