How to disable or remove hotkey F1 for Help and support?

Anonymous
2013-02-08T10:55:45+00:00

Hello dear Microsoft team!

 I would like to know, how can I disable hotkey feature (f1) or what file to delete to remove the hotkey feature (opens help and support programm) on my laptop. I am looking foward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-30T06:46:53+00:00

For future users coming in off Google, don't listen to these non-helpful responses above.  This is how you do it: for Windows 10 (you can do any one of the three, you do not have to do all of them):

  1. Navigate to C:\Windows, find helppane.exe, right click, Properties, Security tab, Advanced.  On the top where it says "Owner:", hit change.  Type in your username and hit Check Names, click OK.  Apply.  Hit okay back to the Security tab.  Next to "to change permissions, click edit"  hit Edit.  Hit Add, type in your username and click Check Names.  Hit okay and then on the permissions give yourself Full Control with all boxes checked.  Click Apply, yes, then OK.  Ok again to close the box.  Then right click, rename it, hit enter and click Continue to provide administrator permission. to rename it.  Or simply click the file and press Delete on your keyboard to get rid of it.  Now you can press F1 without having to be bothered by the help pane popup!
  2. Open up command prompt, File, run new task, type in regedit and hit enter.  Click yes if there is a popup. 

Please backup your registry before making any changes by clicking File > Export (make sure All is selected under Export Range).  Make sure to scroll up and select the uppermost level before searching, for me it is "Computer".  Then Edit > Find.  Under Find What: helppane.exe and make sure only Data is selected and nothing else.  This should lead you to the keys that point towards the executable which you can then rename or remove at your own risk. 

  1. Use a program like Sharpkeys (search it online) to disable the F1 button (not recommended as it will disable the button entirely).

Was this answer helpful?

1500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-14T19:24:02+00:00

    Very helpful indeed. The application I support uses the F1 key to display tool tip text for data entry. I'm in Windows 10 Pro and oddly I pressed F1 without the FN. Thanks for the reminder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-30T10:09:36+00:00

    Then right click, rename it, hit enter and click Continue to provide administrator permission. to rename it.

    Every time I try to rename the HelpPane it shows that I need permission of my own user name to rename it, but when I hit Continue, it says that I still need the goddamn permission and if I hit Try again, it says it again and again. It doesn't seems like I have the permission. How do I get the permission? I feel dumb right now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-17T17:49:17+00:00

    Thank you so much.  I honestly wasn't expecting that to work, but it did.

    I used to be able to disable the annoying f1/"?" key by entering this into command prompt with administrative privileges:

    @echo off

    taskkill /f /im HelpPane.exe

    takeown /f %WinDir%\HelpPane.exe

    icacls %WinDir%\HelpPane.exe /deny Everyone:(X)

    But that for some reason no longer works--most likely due to some BS windows "update".

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-07-19T19:18:12+00:00

    Go to the systems Bios menu and go under system configuration, it should have a togglable action key setting all you have to do is change that from enabled to disabled and it should disable all the F1-F10 keys

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments