How to disable or remove hotkey F1 for Help and support?

Anonymous
2013-02-08T10:55:45+00:00

Hello dear Microsoft team!

 I would like to know, how can I disable hotkey feature (f1) or what file to delete to remove the hotkey feature (opens help and support programm) on my laptop. I am looking foward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Thanks

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-30T06:46:53+00:00

For future users coming in off Google, don't listen to these non-helpful responses above.  This is how you do it: for Windows 10 (you can do any one of the three, you do not have to do all of them):

  1. Navigate to C:\Windows, find helppane.exe, right click, Properties, Security tab, Advanced.  On the top where it says "Owner:", hit change.  Type in your username and hit Check Names, click OK.  Apply.  Hit okay back to the Security tab.  Next to "to change permissions, click edit"  hit Edit.  Hit Add, type in your username and click Check Names.  Hit okay and then on the permissions give yourself Full Control with all boxes checked.  Click Apply, yes, then OK.  Ok again to close the box.  Then right click, rename it, hit enter and click Continue to provide administrator permission. to rename it.  Or simply click the file and press Delete on your keyboard to get rid of it.  Now you can press F1 without having to be bothered by the help pane popup!
  2. Open up command prompt, File, run new task, type in regedit and hit enter.  Click yes if there is a popup. 

Please backup your registry before making any changes by clicking File > Export (make sure All is selected under Export Range).  Make sure to scroll up and select the uppermost level before searching, for me it is "Computer".  Then Edit > Find.  Under Find What: helppane.exe and make sure only Data is selected and nothing else.  This should lead you to the keys that point towards the executable which you can then rename or remove at your own risk. 

  1. Use a program like Sharpkeys (search it online) to disable the F1 button (not recommended as it will disable the button entirely).

Was this answer helpful?

1500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-07T18:48:27+00:00

    Its a universal feature available within win and most third party programs, and as such I dont believe it can be disabled.

    Perhaps you would care to explain why you wish to do so.

    Because it's **** annoying that it keeps popping up when I am not using any program where I would need it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-31T21:08:08+00:00

    also f keys are useful in steam itself, I cant take screenshots.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-31T21:02:01+00:00

    Thats the standard win7 help & Support window.

    Still not sure why you would wish to disable it

    If your sys contains say Word, if you start Word then press F1 you would then get an Office Help Window

    Or if you start WordPad then press F1 you would get a specific WordPad help window

    Im a gamer and in many games theres  non-changeable keys, like Minecraft, f3 is insanely useful

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-15T04:03:32+00:00

    I don't know if you got your answer yet, but I found one. I have had an issue with the F1/help key, especially during gaming on my laptop. Here is the solution I found:

    To Disable the F1 key in Windows 10:

    First Copy and Paste the following into a notepad on the desktop:

    @echo off

    taskkill /f /im HelpPane.exe

    takeown /f %WinDir%\HelpPane.exe

    icacls %WinDir%\HelpPane.exe /deny Everyone:(X) 

    Second Save the notepad with whatever name ending in .bat 

    For example: stophelp.bat 

    Third left click the notepad and run as administrator 

    And the problem will no longer exist!

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments