windows 8 stuck in endless preparing automatic repair

Anonymous
2013-01-06T20:25:17+00:00

Hi 

I recently bought a sony vaio laptop with windows 8 out of the box.

Now the system is not starting

it says preparing automatic repair for some time then a blank screen comes up for  while and then a screen comes up saying repair not completed...it automatically restarts and same thing continues in a loop

please help with this

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-25T04:08:11+00:00

    Fixed It.

    This is the only thing that worked for me. Beware you might loose your data. Try to backup as mentioned.

    I was facing the same issue for the last 1 month or so. I tried everything what others have mentioned by loading the disk and get to the advanced options, but it didnt worked for me. I tried the Windows 8 disk but again it went to the same loop, I even tried to install windows 7, xp,  but still the my computer stuck at the windows screen. I tried everything that I could.

    I was concerned about the hard disk and the data, I bought a hard disk case (It is meant for loading the hard disk and the hard disk can be used as a External USB hard disk) from an electronics shop.  I took out the hard disk from my laptop, mounted it on to the Hard Disk Case and recoverd data from my hard drive.

    I was not able to access the C: drive at all (couldnt even format it). Then I formatted my hard disk from the cmd.

    Do this once you have recoverd your data:

    1. Open cmd
    2. DISKPART
    3. LIST VOLUME

    Once you type LIST VOLUME, the file syestem of the C: drive of the laptop hard disk which you have attached as USB might be displayed "RAW".

    NOTE: The volume name of the "C drive" can be any letter other than C, so please be carefull before proceeding. 

    1. Then type SELECT VOLUME 3  ( Can be any number, select the one which is the C: drive of the hard disk which you are using as external).
    2. Type CLEAN

    6. CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY.

    1. FORMAT FS=NTFS ( If you want to do a quick format you may type quick after the command as below:       

                FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK )

    1. ACTIVE
    2. ASSIGN LETTER <any letter>
    3. EXIT.

    Now you can load the hard disk onto your computer and install any windows without any problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-09T23:07:56+00:00

    hi all,

    enountered the same problem myself and its to do with safe boot.

    using UEFI & secure boot.  does something funky with the boot sector and eventually killed the hard drive.  With UEFI enable and secure boot, you are unable to boot from any other device apart from a bootable USB pen drive.  I noticed when booting from CD, a post message in the top left had corner stating "media check" then "media check failed" would appear just before the toshiba boot splash screen.. it would then boot from the hard disk.

    Windows 8 was stuck  between :-

    trying to boot normally but failing to start

    &

    starting auto repair which loaded/completed but presented naaaahda, nothing.  no cursor, no mouse pointer, no welcome to windows auto repair.

    found no answers yet, new HDD it is

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-02T05:15:12+00:00

    No. None of these work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-18T16:44:55+00:00

    Inspiron42:

    I experience the same problem. Last night my computer got stuck in the "automatic repair." You'll first need to do an initial boot from your windows cd. On my build I pressed F12 to manually boot from the cd, otherwise it went straight into the automatic repair.

    When it asks you to install windows 8, there will be a button on the bottom left that says something like "repair windows." Click that, and it will bring you to the startup options. Click the "troubleshoot" button, then click on "advanced options" when the next set of options appears. You should be able to click on "command prompt" at this point. At that point, just type in the commands Matt gave us.

    The cmd is still running through the commands on mine, so I can't say for sure whether it'll work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-04-25T18:29:29+00:00

    This works!!!

    LOCKED C DRIVE

    JustinKostic replied on  October 29, 2012

    do a selective boot up with bios

    get cmd to open and check

    bootrec /fixMBR

    bootrec /Fixboot

    bootrec /rebuildBCD

    and also

    chkdsk /r c:

    chkdsk /r d:

    chkdsk /r e:

    chkdsk /r f:

    then let repair go thowe again and should be stoped

    How do you do a selective boot up with bios?

    I would love to get to any form of menu or selection screen, but the PC just cycles through repairs and boot ups completely ignoring any repair or installation media I try to boot. And yes I have changed the BIOS boot order.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments