windows 8 stuck in endless preparing automatic repair

Anonymous
2013-01-06T20:25:17+00:00

Hi 

I recently bought a sony vaio laptop with windows 8 out of the box.

Now the system is not starting

it says preparing automatic repair for some time then a blank screen comes up for  while and then a screen comes up saying repair not completed...it automatically restarts and same thing continues in a loop

please help with this

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-09T19:29:24+00:00

    I would love to try booting from a cd/dvd.  `however my new machine, delivered today is an ultrabook, with no optical drive and I dont have an external one to try plugging in.

    It hung up after I enabled bitlocker and has been playinmg up ever since.  It boots to the bitlocker password, `i enter it correctly, off it goes then crashes into the black screen "Preparing Automatic repair" .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-21T10:48:34+00:00

    FIXED THE Windows 8.1 "Preparing Automatic Repair" Message [SOLVED].

    Just had the dreaded "Preparing Automatic Repair" message

    on my 7130 Dell Venue 11 Pro

    • I hadnt done anything weird that day, no new installs, no updates, next morning get a message.

    "Preparing Automatic Repair"

    message dissapears after 30 seconds , to blank screen with mouse support ( no keys working)

    • waited 1 hour nothing else happned.
    • power cable was half-in overnight:- flat battery , might have had something to do with it? - recharged to 30%

    Had a good look round the forums, lots of people have the problem,

    no sure fire ways to fix it though.

    So what did I do?

    • Tried taking battery out / in several times -  no luck
    • tried BIOS tests ( VolUp+Power ) - no luck ( All tests passed OK)
    • tried BIOS ( VolDown+Power ) then Exit - no luck
    • tried BIOS Disable USB port , save , then exit - no luck

    On a different Windows 8.1 PC

    Created Recovery Drive on a sandisk 32GB Micro SD card

    (NB it wipes the Micro SD card,  so copy all the files to somewhere else.)

    • Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Recovery  > Create a recovery drive ( needs 16GB )
    • slot in the Micro SD card
    • Reboot , message appears again "Preparing Automatic Repair"
    • then another message - Your PC did not restart Correctly ( no shirt sherlock!)
    • select option to restart normally and up she comes no bother, as if nothing had happened!
    • no messages or anything, just working as normal.
    • no lost files
    • Didnt have to reinstall anything
    • Only took 5 hours!

    Lots of good tips here to try:

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_8-system/my-windows-8-is-stuck-in-automatic-repair/4b866eb1-394d-494f-bd2c-f43538e76b6e?rtAction=1403346638982

    UPDATE Feb 11 2015:

    Just got the "Preparing Automatic Repair" endless loop message again.

    This time I took out the 64GB micro sd card that I had put in a few days before,

    rebooted, and the message "Your PC did not restart Correctly" came up instantly.

    I did not need to insert the recovery drive on a 32GB Micro SD Card.

    There must be something on the 64GB micro sd card that windows doesnt like.

    I then shutdown the tablet, reinserted the 64GB micro sd card, and it booted up perfectly.

    Hope this helps someone.

    Dell Venue 11 pro STUCK Preparing Automatic Repair [SOLVED]  = REMOVE 64GB Micro SD Card.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-10T18:29:27+00:00

    Hi inspiron42:

    Did you ever discover a fix for this automatic repair loop? I've tried EVERYTHING suggested in this forum and others but cannot break the loop nor can I boot up from ANY Windows installation disc/drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-06T09:33:03+00:00

    I'm having the same problem with my laptop, at what point should i press the Shift+F8 or F8 Repeatedly? And are there any other solutions to this problem if this doesn't work?

     Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-09-17T05:18:14+00:00

    I bought a ASUS 23 touch screen all in one, I3, 6GB, 1TB. Soon as I powered it up I was stuck in "Preparing Automatic Repair". Darn thing never booted up, took I back to the Store. Gave it another try with a different Model. Lenovo 23 touch screen all in one, I3. 6GB, 1 TB. This one worked for all of an hour, Then I got an update from MS, plugged in my external drive, and CPU did a force restart. Then the dreaded "Preparing Automatic Repair", let it sit that way for an hour, I then unplugged it, because the power button would not work, and plugged it back in, nothing, no lights nothing, dead.  

    I called Microsoft and waited on hold for a long time, I finally spoke to someone who explained I should contact Lenovo. It is going back to the store. Obviously, there is some kind of problem with the OS, when two different manufacturers have the same result. I am so so disappointed, and wasted many hours of my time.

    I am not a novice, but when I buy a new mid-range machine, I expect it to work. I have read the workaround listed above, but seriously I do not expect to have to reinstall an OS on a machine I just bought and didn't use. I have been and Microsoft Cheerleader and good customer since my 386 with DOS, and 200 MB.

    I feel betrayed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments