Windows Update Never Stops Looking for Updates.

Anonymous
2013-09-28T01:44:35+00:00

The other morning after I brought my computer out of hibernation, I noticed that it had not automatically Checked for Updates like it usually does.  So I clicked Check for Updates on the Windows Update panel and it never stopped looking for updates.  It just kept looking.  So I just ignored it and did a disk defrag and a clean disk as usual.  Late that night after I finished my usual computer stuff, it was still looking for updates.  So I restarted the computer and found that that had stopped it Checking for Updates.

The next morning, it was the same situation all over aagain: No automatic Check for Updates when I brought it out of hibernation and then endless searching after I clicked on Check for Updates.  How can I stop this endless searching without restarting the computer and go back to having my computer behave the way it used to do?

Greg

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-09-28T13:58:15+00:00

Hi Greg,

  • Do you get any error message?

This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

a.       The Windows Update database is corrupted.

b.      A required system file is registered incorrectly.

c.       The Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted.

Here are few troubleshooting methods you may try in order to fix the issue.

Method 1: Reset Windows update components from the following link and check.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Important: Back up the registry

Method 2: Restart the Windows Update services.

a. Click in Start and in Start search box type CMD.

b. In the list Right click on CMD and click Run as Administrator.

Type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:

o   net stop cryptsvc

o   md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old

o   xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s

o   Net stop wuauserv

o   cd %systemroot%

o   Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

o   Net start wuauserv

Try to install the updates and check.

Method 3: Unable to install updates in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997** 


Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

For more information, refer to the articles.

**Troubleshoot problems with installing updates******

**"Windows Update Cannot Check For Updates" error message when you try to install updates**

Do let us know about the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-18T02:41:40+00:00

    As a person who has worked as a computer tech for a number of years, I can confirm that fixing windows update issues is a common occurrence and not always easy to do.  I would recommend, though, that the very first thing you try is to check the computer for infections.  I know that sounds cliche, but it's also often times the cause of the problem.  There are not many programs out there that will fix windows update, but I have found the combination of combofix and adw is often times a potent cure (if you choose to use them, though, make sure you get them from a reliable source. cnet, bleepingcomputer).  Now mind you, both of these programs are free and there is no guarantee or safety net if you choose to use them.  There is no customer service.  There is no one to call if things go south.  It's format reload time on your own dime.  Nonetheless, these two programs fix things that no other programs out there will fix.  If you aren't computer savvy, find a friend that is and ask them for help with using these programs.  Make sure you back up your valuable data before using them.  As a matter of fact, make sure you ALWAYS have your data backed up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-12T18:40:17+00:00

    Option Two worked! I've been trying for weeks to fix this issue, and your solution worked!

    Many thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-25T00:09:11+00:00

    can i delete the 'catroot2.old' folder after all done?

    Are those steps stop the update process forever or just fix them?

    thank you..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-29T01:07:01+00:00

    I am having the same problem after 3 clean installs and almost 12 hours with Microsoft tech support. I was even transferred to higher level tech and now I still have the problem. I was told to check with my internet provider to changer the proxy settings. Comcast said that they do not use proxy settings anymore. 

    Windows update was working last week, However my hard drive was in the danger zone(Red) so I decided to format and reinstall. It did some of the updates before getting stuck. I did all my Lenovo updates and then decided to install win10.

    Downloaded win 10, verified win 10, However it got stuck getting updated and never installed.

    Now, I have given up until Microsoft calls me again tomorrow. I have another fresh install of Win7Pro waiting on them.

    This has been a real problem, my complete weekend was spent on this problem, and it is not resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments