Windows Update Never Stops Looking for Updates.

Anonymous
2013-09-28T01:44:35+00:00

The other morning after I brought my computer out of hibernation, I noticed that it had not automatically Checked for Updates like it usually does.  So I clicked Check for Updates on the Windows Update panel and it never stopped looking for updates.  It just kept looking.  So I just ignored it and did a disk defrag and a clean disk as usual.  Late that night after I finished my usual computer stuff, it was still looking for updates.  So I restarted the computer and found that that had stopped it Checking for Updates.

The next morning, it was the same situation all over aagain: No automatic Check for Updates when I brought it out of hibernation and then endless searching after I clicked on Check for Updates.  How can I stop this endless searching without restarting the computer and go back to having my computer behave the way it used to do?

Greg

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-09-28T13:58:15+00:00

Hi Greg,

  • Do you get any error message?

This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

a.       The Windows Update database is corrupted.

b.      A required system file is registered incorrectly.

c.       The Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted.

Here are few troubleshooting methods you may try in order to fix the issue.

Method 1: Reset Windows update components from the following link and check.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Important: Back up the registry

Method 2: Restart the Windows Update services.

a. Click in Start and in Start search box type CMD.

b. In the list Right click on CMD and click Run as Administrator.

Type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:

o   net stop cryptsvc

o   md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old

o   xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s

o   Net stop wuauserv

o   cd %systemroot%

o   Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

o   Net start wuauserv

Try to install the updates and check.

Method 3: Unable to install updates in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997** 


Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

For more information, refer to the articles.

**Troubleshoot problems with installing updates******

**"Windows Update Cannot Check For Updates" error message when you try to install updates**

Do let us know about the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-18T21:16:21+00:00

    After days trying to figure out the problem I finally was able to resolve it as follows:

    1. Go to microsoft update catalog:

     http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/DownloadInformation.aspx

    search for updates KB3171605 and KB3020369

    download them after you add them to the basket

    1. Stop the svhost.exe in task manager (should be almost pegged at CPU 98%)
    2. Find the downloads of step 1 and run them with svhost.exe off
    3. Restart after the updates install.
    4. Use Windows Update from control panel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-10T09:32:17+00:00

    Dear Sir,

    Am using Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit version and the same is not getting updated automatically.  It always shows as "Checking for updates" and this keeps on going without any end or further progress. Am facing this issue since Jun 11, 16 and couldn't able to get any new updates from Microsoft since then.  Kindly let me know the solution for this issue as I had already tried for Windows fixit, no improvement.

    How to resolve this issue and to get automatic updates as earlier?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-06T03:18:42+00:00

    Seems like a ploy from Microsoft to get all users who run Vista or Win 7 to upgrade to Win 10! As long as Security Essentials is up to date and protection is running who cares about other system updates. Just turn off automatic updates and you don't have to worry about error codes and endless searching. Especially if running Vista since there is no longer any support from Microsoft so trying to update is obsolete.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-09-01T17:34:26+00:00

    Hi Sharief,

    I've read your previous suggestion on how to resolve this problem and I tried method 2 which did not work - windows update keeps trying to find updates endlessly.

    I then tried method 3 and downloaded the DISM:

    Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821)

    but after searching for running and searching for updates, it gave me the error

    0x8024001e  .

    I wonder if you could give me any suggestion to resolve this issue?

    Thank you so much for your time.

    Best Regards,

    RR90

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments