Windows Update Never Stops Looking for Updates.

Anonymous
2013-09-28T01:44:35+00:00

The other morning after I brought my computer out of hibernation, I noticed that it had not automatically Checked for Updates like it usually does.  So I clicked Check for Updates on the Windows Update panel and it never stopped looking for updates.  It just kept looking.  So I just ignored it and did a disk defrag and a clean disk as usual.  Late that night after I finished my usual computer stuff, it was still looking for updates.  So I restarted the computer and found that that had stopped it Checking for Updates.

The next morning, it was the same situation all over aagain: No automatic Check for Updates when I brought it out of hibernation and then endless searching after I clicked on Check for Updates.  How can I stop this endless searching without restarting the computer and go back to having my computer behave the way it used to do?

Greg

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-09-28T13:58:15+00:00

Hi Greg,

  • Do you get any error message?

This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

a.       The Windows Update database is corrupted.

b.      A required system file is registered incorrectly.

c.       The Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted.

Here are few troubleshooting methods you may try in order to fix the issue.

Method 1: Reset Windows update components from the following link and check.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Important: Back up the registry

Method 2: Restart the Windows Update services.

a. Click in Start and in Start search box type CMD.

b. In the list Right click on CMD and click Run as Administrator.

Type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:

o   net stop cryptsvc

o   md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old

o   xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s

o   Net stop wuauserv

o   cd %systemroot%

o   Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

o   Net start wuauserv

Try to install the updates and check.

Method 3: Unable to install updates in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997** 


Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

For more information, refer to the articles.

**Troubleshoot problems with installing updates******

**"Windows Update Cannot Check For Updates" error message when you try to install updates**

Do let us know about the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-31T21:00:25+00:00

    Yes and I think it returns to automatic on it's own, but if not yes you can do that just fine.

    But I have to give credit where credit is due, I got this script from a Microsoft tech so I wouldn't have to annoy them every time I did an install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-31T19:44:40+00:00

    Waltperson.... thank you very much for your help. It has cured my never ending "searching for updates" problem.

    Your step by step procedure is written very clearly and with the helpful download links, made it worth trying.

    And after trying many other things from YouTube and the internet, I wasn't expecting any success.

    However after following your instructions, my new installations of win7 ultimate on laptop and win7 starter on a netbook have now found over two hundred updates on the laptop and 142 on the netbook.

    One question.... is it safe to return the machines back to "install windows updates automatically"?

    Thanks again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-31T04:00:33+00:00

    Glad it helped you too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-12-30T09:11:55+00:00

    If this confuses you, contact microsoft live chat and make sure it is MICROSOFT and not a microsoft certified tech. The real Microsoft will log in using Logmein, not teamviewer and the real Microsoft will not charge for this service.

    This is what I used, I got this from a MS tech and it works.

    1. Delete Temp files ( Press windows key + R type %temp% and hit enter ) Delete everything that you can on that folder
    2. Perform Clean boot ( Press windows key + R type msconfig and hit enter > go to services tab > tick on the box that said " hide all microsoft services " > click on disable all > click apply > click ok. ) then a restart prompt will appear. Click on restart
    3. Set Windows Update to Manual (Press windows key+ R type services.msc then hit enter > Locate the windows update on the list then > Right Click > Properties > set it to Manual)
    4. Disable B.I.T.S (Press windows key+ R type services.msc then hit enter > locate B.I.T.S  or Background Intelligent Transfer services > Right Click > Properties > Disable)

    5.  Restart computer.

    6.  Open your broweser then Download and run (do not restart yet)

                    KB3020369

                     For x86:    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46827

                     For x64:    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46817

    7.  Stop Windows Update (Press windows key+ R type services.msc then hit enter > locate Windows Update > Right Click > Stop)

    8.  Open your broweser then   Download and run (do not restart yet)

                     KB3172605

                     For x86:    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53335

                     For x64:    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53332

    1. Stop Windows Update (Press windows key+ R type services.msc then hit enter > locate Windows Update > Right Click > Stop)
    2. Download and run (restart if needed after installing)

                    KB3161664

                     For x86:    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52823

                     For x64:    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52794

    11.  Check for Updates as usual. ( Please allow 15-20 minutes )

    Thank you!!

    I have gone through a few dozen different suggested remedies from various message boards and knowledge base articles -- all of which (including the troubleshooter) failed.

    I ended up using a combination of:

    Resetting Windows Update Components

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

    Or more simply the following helper script:

    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc

    But following your steps listed finally fixed the issue for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments