Windows Update Never Stops Looking for Updates.

Anonymous
2013-09-28T01:44:35+00:00

The other morning after I brought my computer out of hibernation, I noticed that it had not automatically Checked for Updates like it usually does.  So I clicked Check for Updates on the Windows Update panel and it never stopped looking for updates.  It just kept looking.  So I just ignored it and did a disk defrag and a clean disk as usual.  Late that night after I finished my usual computer stuff, it was still looking for updates.  So I restarted the computer and found that that had stopped it Checking for Updates.

The next morning, it was the same situation all over aagain: No automatic Check for Updates when I brought it out of hibernation and then endless searching after I clicked on Check for Updates.  How can I stop this endless searching without restarting the computer and go back to having my computer behave the way it used to do?

Greg

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-09-28T13:58:15+00:00

Hi Greg,

  • Do you get any error message?

This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

a.       The Windows Update database is corrupted.

b.      A required system file is registered incorrectly.

c.       The Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted.

Here are few troubleshooting methods you may try in order to fix the issue.

Method 1: Reset Windows update components from the following link and check.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Important: Back up the registry

Method 2: Restart the Windows Update services.

a. Click in Start and in Start search box type CMD.

b. In the list Right click on CMD and click Run as Administrator.

Type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:

o   net stop cryptsvc

o   md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old

o   xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s

o   Net stop wuauserv

o   cd %systemroot%

o   Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

o   Net start wuauserv

Try to install the updates and check.

Method 3: Unable to install updates in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997** 


Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

For more information, refer to the articles.

**Troubleshoot problems with installing updates******

**"Windows Update Cannot Check For Updates" error message when you try to install updates**

Do let us know about the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-26T18:11:28+00:00

    Attempted method 1, but that too was stuck endlessly on 'checking for updates'.

    Method 2 is vague. First, after

    C:\Windows\system32>xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\c

    atroot2.old /s

    I was asked

    Does C:\Windows\system32\catroot2.old specify a file name

    or directory name on the target

    (F = file, D = directory)?

    I assumed file, and went with F. After overwriting the files and proceeding ahead, this happened

    C:\Windows\system32>cd %systemroot%

    C:\Windows>Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

    Access is denied.

    I can't even go any further with this option because, despite running the command prompt as admin, it's giving me access denied. I just reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 7 onto a new hard drive yesterday, so I can't understand what is going wrong with my updates failing and my update checker hanging indefinitely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-30T13:50:12+00:00

    Followed steps exactly as outlined - no change, repeated step one again, also disabling all AV. Non Change. Windows continuously searches for updates - after 72 hours of searching, I gave up.

    Have tried restore point. However as last successful up date as now more than 60 days ago, thereis no restore point that far back!

    What guidance to the Win 7 gurus have now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-28T13:28:43+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for your response.

    Please answer these questions in order to understand the issue better:

    1. Which version of windows is installed on the computer?
    2. Do you receive any error message?
    3. Do you have a good internet connection?
    4. What firewall/anti-virus are you running?
    5. Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

    From the way you describe it, I would think some problem with accessing the update server.

    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue:

    Steps 1:


    By setting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135


    **Note:**After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.


    If issue still persists proceed with step2.

    Step 2:


    I suggest you to disable antivirus software and check if it helps.

    Note: Do not forget to enable it back after completing troubleshooting steps. Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue to assist you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-21T21:57:23+00:00

    Tried all these - none solved the problem. Windows update continues to check - now over six days!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments