Windows Update Never Stops Looking for Updates.

Anonymous
2013-09-28T01:44:35+00:00

The other morning after I brought my computer out of hibernation, I noticed that it had not automatically Checked for Updates like it usually does.  So I clicked Check for Updates on the Windows Update panel and it never stopped looking for updates.  It just kept looking.  So I just ignored it and did a disk defrag and a clean disk as usual.  Late that night after I finished my usual computer stuff, it was still looking for updates.  So I restarted the computer and found that that had stopped it Checking for Updates.

The next morning, it was the same situation all over aagain: No automatic Check for Updates when I brought it out of hibernation and then endless searching after I clicked on Check for Updates.  How can I stop this endless searching without restarting the computer and go back to having my computer behave the way it used to do?

Greg

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-09-28T13:58:15+00:00

Hi Greg,

  • Do you get any error message?

This problem may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

a.       The Windows Update database is corrupted.

b.      A required system file is registered incorrectly.

c.       The Component Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted.

Here are few troubleshooting methods you may try in order to fix the issue.

Method 1: Reset Windows update components from the following link and check.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Important: Back up the registry

Method 2: Restart the Windows Update services.

a. Click in Start and in Start search box type CMD.

b. In the list Right click on CMD and click Run as Administrator.

Type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:

o   net stop cryptsvc

o   md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old

o   xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s

o   Net stop wuauserv

o   cd %systemroot%

o   Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

o   Net start wuauserv

Try to install the updates and check.

Method 3: Unable to install updates in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997** 


Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

For more information, refer to the articles.

**Troubleshoot problems with installing updates******

**"Windows Update Cannot Check For Updates" error message when you try to install updates**

Do let us know about the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-26T19:59:21+00:00

    I believe I have run these commands in order to rename possible corruptions and thereby automatically regenerate newer uncorrupted ones.  I am pretty sure I ran this same routine from the command prompt in a batch file.  I don't mind running it again.  I will report back to you.  Thanks Ratandeep!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-26T06:52:51+00:00

    Hello Prince,

    Thank you for the reply.

    I appreciate your patience.

    Did you try using suggestions in my response on July 2, 2016?

    Please reply with results.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-26T02:26:12+00:00

    the windows 10 upgrade shouldn't have affected you at all on vista. The timing does sound right, but has only hit me on fresh installs of windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-25T20:03:01+00:00

    Tried all these remedies Sharief, to no avail.  By the way, I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit with Service Pack 2 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop.  You said: " A required system file is registered incorrectly"; how does one remedy this?  I even did a system restore as far back as the system would let me, but this didn't work either.  Microsoft "Fix-Its" never worked even when it fixed all of the category errors.  I ran the Fix-It routines until it found nothing!  I even ran the chkdsk for faulty or damaged sectors - no sectors showed up as bad.  I have been grappling with this problem for many months: Windows just keeps checking for updates infinitely without ever reporting 1 file available for download.  The green bar just keeps panning from left to right as if frozen or maybe missing some command to execute to move forward.  Why doesn't Microsoft have a website dedicated to probing the operating system to detect and fix the problem speedily?  Instead, we are left in the lurch!  Maybe Microsoft update servers have, for the most part, been dedicated to updating the new Windows 10 O/S?  Could this be a ploy to sell 10 to the public?  Strange, the problem seemed to coincide with the Microsoft campaign to market its Windows 10?  If I am wrong, I apologize.  Updates are very important, correct?  Then why doesn't Microsoft support us so that we can fully enjoy our VISTA product!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments