Would that system not boot at all and if it would not boot at all, how did you get rid of that software?
My customer's PC was in a continuous boot/BSOD/boot cycle. I broke this cycle by safe mode and then unticking "Automatically restart" in Startup and Recovery. Also in safe mode I could get the minidumps and feed them into BlueScreenView on my PC. Imagine my surprise when the stop was apparently the same as 3 that I remembered being reported on this forum the same day (31st May).
The last 4 minidumps all implicated RapportCerberus32_51755.sys so I found where it was located (only one place in the whole file system) and renamed its parent folder, which was...
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\RapportCerberus\baseline
Then I rebooted the PC in normal mode and there was no BSOD which was previously happening just after the desktop was displayed following (automatic) user logon.
I then installed Rapport (presumably the latest version, but maybe not fully patched) on one of my XP machines and there was no BSOD for several hours, including reboots. So I uninstalled and re-installed Rapport on my customer's PC and there was still no BSOD. I suppose that there may be an update which causes the problem not yet downloaded to my customer's PC, time will tell.
I will update this thread as and when I get more info from Trusteer. The customer now has his PC back and working, apparently none the worse for its recent trauma. But like I said, time will tell...
Tricky
EDIT (based on feedback from WAH99)
The Application Data folder mentioned above is hidden. The easiest way to get to be able to rename the baseline folder is...
- Click Start
- Click Run
- Paste this bold text C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\RapportCerberus into the run dialog box and hit enter