TiWorker 50% of CPU and Updating doesn't work in any way

Anonymous
2013-01-19T22:59:18+00:00

I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-01T19:45:49+00:00

I had the same problem on my Toshiba Z30t running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro. Soon after unboxing it, I ran Windows Update, and after 30 or so updates were downloaded and installed, TiWorker.exe reared its head and pretty much took over my laptop.

After a bunch of googling over the past couple days, I ended up following the advice from this bit-tech column about Microsoft's botched update of the servicing stack.

Opening command line in Administrator mode, I executed the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command with the following switches:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And after a reboot, no more TiWorker.exe hogging my Z30t, even when I've left it idle.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-08T00:04:32+00:00

    I was having the same issue, it isn't gone but better - one thing I noticed is to make sure Office 2013 (if you have that) is updated.  When my fan is so loud I can hear it in another room and feel I will see my computer fly right by and launch itself out the window I will check Office (within Outlook 2013 go to File/Office Account and check Office Updates) and sure enough there is a notification there that Office 2013 has an update.  Why is doesn't automatically install (like it's supposed to) I don't know.  After I install the Office 2013 Update TiWorker stops.

    I enjoyed your comment about your computer flying out the window from the fan running.  So funny.  I agree, it is so irritating hearing the fan go nuts on one's computer.  I used to say it sounded akin to my cat growling at another cat, only it was the fan going crazy from the Norton antivirus...  Anyway, I'm reading these posts because I too just got a system notice about ti.worker, only it's saying it is taking up 94% CPU usage, but I'm not hearing the fan and nothing seems to have slowed down.  I have noticed that always around 8pm at night,  just when I'm watching a movie on Netflix or if I'm watching some clips, that is when I always seem to get updates, and that's a really bad time for them to be installing updates for me.  Last night the while watching CBS 48 hours, the show crashed and I had to reboot the computer and go back into the website again and reload the video.  I figured it was because Microsoft or Norton was installing updates again.  Then I got a system notification about my firewall being disabled; I went to check and nothing was disabled.  I checked Norton and everything seemed fine.  So this morning,  I decided to check Norton again and now this notice pops up about ti.worker taking up 94% usage.   

    Don't worry much about it saying that the Firewall or Antivirus is disabled if you know for sure that they are enabled. This message sometimes occurs when you have third party antivirus (in your case Norton) and/or firewall installed. Not sure why it brings it up maybe when windows checks for the antivirus software the program was not fully loaded or etc. It is worth going to the antivirus program to see if it is enabled though.

    To change when updates get downloaded and installed go to 'Control Panel' click on 'Action Center' then click on the arrow beside 'Maintenance'. Then below that click on 'Change maintenance settings'. There you'll find a way to change the time maintenance runs. Automatic Maintenance uses a background process to run when the computer is idle. Not for sure if this helps but worth a try.

    (For me Maintenance runs when computer is idle but it used to make my fan kick on medium high (Windows 8/8.1). Anymore though it doesn't. Not sure if it is because I have the latest update for Windows 8.1 or what.)

    Or you could go into 'Windows Update' within the 'Control Panel' and then go to 'Change settings' (on the left) and change how Windows deals with updates. You might could try setting it so that it only downloads the updates and you manually install them.

    For others with the TiWorker problem you could try the previous 2 paragraphs or you could try this: 

    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262 It checks Windows Updates and see if it is working correctly.

    Like I said not for sure if any of these will help but they will not hurt. The one about changing how Windows deals with updates my be a little inconvenient though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-08T06:09:34+00:00

    As I noticed the date of your post, I could not help but to sign in and declare the same thing as being described in the majority of the other posts, is also happening to me.

    I am finding;

    that all the virus scanners in the universe,

    all the update helpers as well, and also, Microsoft Windows in General,

    are not helping one little bit.

    Nay, not even a fraction, of one little bit.

    I shall never ever understand the logic in a business building itself up,

    and then destroying the very thing that made it become so big.

    I just completed a fresh install.

    Windows 8 is taking up 19 Gigabytes of space on my hard drive.

    Why...?

    And, Microsoft keeps nagging me to, "upgrade"(?) to Windows 8.1...

    Uh huh. From my experience with Windows 8.1, I am allowed even less control of My pc data...

    Keywords being, My PC.

    100% cpu by TiWorker.exe is ridiculous.

    Cannot help but wonder why it does not seem to be being addressed by Microsoft.

    Not tomorrow, not next week or next month,

    As Now, would be acceptable...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-08T16:57:18+00:00

    Agree, I just finished a fresh install also. I will not be updating to Windows 8.1. I retired that computer for now, It was too expensive to let Windows 8 eventually destroy it. I am using another computer with Windows 7 on it and considering installing Windows 7 on the computer I retired.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T03:47:22+00:00

    The link to the troubleshooter helped, but only a little.  It confirmed that it could not fix the failure to update Windows.  Manual install does not work either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments