TiWorker 50% of CPU and Updating doesn't work in any way

Anonymous
2013-01-19T22:59:18+00:00

I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-01T19:45:49+00:00

I had the same problem on my Toshiba Z30t running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro. Soon after unboxing it, I ran Windows Update, and after 30 or so updates were downloaded and installed, TiWorker.exe reared its head and pretty much took over my laptop.

After a bunch of googling over the past couple days, I ended up following the advice from this bit-tech column about Microsoft's botched update of the servicing stack.

Opening command line in Administrator mode, I executed the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command with the following switches:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And after a reboot, no more TiWorker.exe hogging my Z30t, even when I've left it idle.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-16T09:06:20+00:00

    I haven't even had my laptop for a week and it's coming up with this tiworker.exe thing !!  Very disappointing to read all about here.  $400 and I'm sitting here frustrated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T22:16:23+00:00

    Windows 8; I am very frustrated with this version of Windows. It should not be continued to be installed on new computers!!!!! I have tried the virus thing...the supposed update fix is already installed on my computer and Tiworker.exe is still using high CPU, up to 99%. I have been trouble shooting for 2 days only to discover THIS CANNOT BE FIXED!!!!!!! Seriously Microsoft, fix it or take it off the market!!! Seriously considering a Mac for my next computer which obviously is going to have to be soon!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-21T01:49:50+00:00

    Okay. It's now June 2014, OVER A YEAR LATER, and I have the same problem.

    Does Microsoft actually have any SOLUTION to this?

    "Run a scanner" isn't a solution. It's avoiding addressing what is obviously an ongoing problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more