TiWorker 50% of CPU and Updating doesn't work in any way

Anonymous
2013-01-19T22:59:18+00:00

I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-01T19:45:49+00:00

I had the same problem on my Toshiba Z30t running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro. Soon after unboxing it, I ran Windows Update, and after 30 or so updates were downloaded and installed, TiWorker.exe reared its head and pretty much took over my laptop.

After a bunch of googling over the past couple days, I ended up following the advice from this bit-tech column about Microsoft's botched update of the servicing stack.

Opening command line in Administrator mode, I executed the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command with the following switches:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And after a reboot, no more TiWorker.exe hogging my Z30t, even when I've left it idle.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-16T23:27:56+00:00

    I just bought a Lenovo Windows 8 Pc. Brand new.. And I try using this thing for school I can't even use word without other programs.. Microsoft Safety Scanner does nothing for me.. and the Tieworker takes like 70% of my CPU. This makes me frustrated. I use my money for a product for SCHOOL and it doesn't even work without "not responding" programs.. I am a Windows fan I have a 360 and a Xbox one. I just got this PC and it's not even working. I am the only one in my house with a Windows computer everyone has a mac because of this issue. I contacted support they told me to go buy another 100$ ram! When this one was the same thing...... I am very frustrated right now...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-01T23:52:29+00:00

    hi I have just found the answer go to the tiworker exe file

    click properties and allow to run as administrator all fixed :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-08T03:25:13+00:00

    Thanx for the information TiWorker.exe no longer running on my machine.

    Do you have anything that will help block or delete GWX.exe, I won't update this machine to 10 it's to old but would like to stop upgrade notifications.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-06T20:02:17+00:00

    Oh god thank you very much for the information...After 3 days of searching of how to fix this thing of Tiworker on a fresh install and w.update that wasn't finding anything that w.update diag worked for . Found a reg error and now windows update works and installin updates with tiworker using about 30% installing 180+ updates

    Thank you very much again !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments