TiWorker 50% of CPU and Updating doesn't work in any way

Anonymous
2013-01-19T22:59:18+00:00

I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-01T19:45:49+00:00

I had the same problem on my Toshiba Z30t running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro. Soon after unboxing it, I ran Windows Update, and after 30 or so updates were downloaded and installed, TiWorker.exe reared its head and pretty much took over my laptop.

After a bunch of googling over the past couple days, I ended up following the advice from this bit-tech column about Microsoft's botched update of the servicing stack.

Opening command line in Administrator mode, I executed the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command with the following switches:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And after a reboot, no more TiWorker.exe hogging my Z30t, even when I've left it idle.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-16T09:06:20+00:00

    I haven't even had my laptop for a week and it's coming up with this tiworker.exe thing !!  Very disappointing to read all about here.  $400 and I'm sitting here frustrated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-09T16:34:23+00:00

    I was having the same issue, it isn't gone but better - one thing I noticed is to make sure Office 2013 (if you have that) is updated.  When my fan is so loud I can hear it in another room and feel I will see my computer fly right by and launch itself out the window I will check Office (within Outlook 2013 go to File/Office Account and check Office Updates) and sure enough there is a notification there that Office 2013 has an update.  Why is doesn't automatically install (like it's supposed to) I don't know.  After I install the Office 2013 Update TiWorker stops.

     

    I enjoyed your comment about your computer flying out the window from the fan running.  So funny.  I agree, it is so irritating hearing the fan go nuts on one's computer.  I used to say it sounded akin to my cat growling at another cat, only it was the fan going crazy from the Norton antivirus...  Anyway, I'm reading these posts because I too just got a system notice about ti.worker, only it's saying it is taking up 94% CPU usage, but I'm not hearing the fan and nothing seems to have slowed down.  I have noticed that always around 8pm at night,  just when I'm watching a movie on Netflix or if I'm watching some clips, that is when I always seem to get updates, and that's a really bad time for them to be installing updates for me.  Last night the while watching CBS 48 hours, the show crashed and I had to reboot the computer and go back into the website again and reload the video.  I figured it was because Microsoft or Norton was installing updates again.  Then I got a system notification about my firewall being disabled; I went to check and nothing was disabled.  I checked Norton and everything seemed fine.  So this morning,  I decided to check Norton again and now this notice pops up about ti.worker taking up 94% usage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T21:17:54+00:00

    I just went through this whole tiworker thing again recently. I had trouble with Windows 8.1 and imaged my system back to Windows 8 and the tiworker SLAMMED my CPU for days. My computer was running so hot I would turn it off just to give it a break.

    Every day I would check for updates and it would say there weren't any. On the third day of checking for updates, Windows Updates showed three OS updates to install - after that tiworker stopped.  I am guessing getting the system patched/updated to "current" is a process, with tiworker checking your configuration.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T20:49:43+00:00

    somethimes all Windows needs is a lil TLC, its not too hard to get anything to work, I have many programs and running one at a time is no problem at all, even with this Windows 8 that everyone see's as bad, it has its moments but after a update just give it a lil time to adjust, after all, it just took a large hit of change's, did u? imagine urself in ur computers position, learning over 10,000 new things in under 10 mins, sometimes more or less then 10 mins, can u do that? even half those things already exist just changing how it knows them, if u can do that, u don't need a computer lol, if u can do that, u have super human talents and don't need to even go to college for ur intellect, but, since ur computer is no smarter then the people that make it, just give it time, and TLC, and it'll fix the 50-100% usage itself

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments