TiWorker 50% of CPU and Updating doesn't work in any way

Anonymous
2013-01-19T22:59:18+00:00

I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-01T19:45:49+00:00

I had the same problem on my Toshiba Z30t running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro. Soon after unboxing it, I ran Windows Update, and after 30 or so updates were downloaded and installed, TiWorker.exe reared its head and pretty much took over my laptop.

After a bunch of googling over the past couple days, I ended up following the advice from this bit-tech column about Microsoft's botched update of the servicing stack.

Opening command line in Administrator mode, I executed the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command with the following switches:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And after a reboot, no more TiWorker.exe hogging my Z30t, even when I've left it idle.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-14T01:07:54+00:00

    Yeah unbelievable, the Microsoft Engineers twiddle their thumbs leaving us users to suffer then comes in after a user is forced to turn off a function to get a useable computer. Appalling behavior.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-08T09:11:22+00:00

    Hi,

    CPU usage will go high, if there are some unnecessary applications get loaded with the operating system.

    I would suggest you to perform following steps and check.


    Method 1: Run System Maintenance troubleshooter and check if it helps.

    Follow the steps:

    a)       Press Windows and X key together and select Control Panel.

    b)      Click on Troubleshooting.

    c)       Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.

    d)      Click on System Maintenance option.

    e)      Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.

    If the issue still persists, continue to the next method.

    Method 2: We will check the functionality in safe mode with networking.

    Step 1: Start your computer in safe mode with networking and check the CPU usage.

    Refer this link to start the computer in safe mode.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode


    If it works fine in safe mode with networking, let’s perform clean boot.


    Step 2: Perform clean boot.

    Clean boot will help us identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

    To do this, follow steps from this link:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135


    Note: After checking the functionality in clean boot, follow the suggestions under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot”.

    Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-07T16:46:00+00:00

    same problem, 

    i switched off realtime protection to allow windows update to update defenders definitions. then switch defender realtime protection on again once the update completed, now my cpu is max1% not 50% while in idle and all updates all up to date

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-20T13:49:18+00:00

    Hi Glenn,

    Glad to know that you have resolved the issue. Thank for sharing this information with us. We really appreciate your effort to resolve the issue.

    Please post back if you have any issues related to Windows and we will be glad to assist you further.

    I think the problem is what I've also been running into with Windows 10 (beta, yes, I know).....  some system process that is on that may be good for a novice is left on for everyone and is meant to run as a background process, yet it runs with Normal priority.

    Windows Update shouldn't run as normal priority.  

    As a programmer, I learned that the best way to get your programs running efficiently was to always have a slow PC around.  A slow PC will always make sluggish performance more apparent.

    When installing this on an Inspiron Duo 1090, I found both this and the Messenger issue which keeps LiveComm.exe running at high CPU usage.  I always clean out the SoftwareDistribution folder under c:\windows but you periodically have these processes running that don't benefit me.  Search is always running in the background and yet i rarely search for something.  For me, I'd rather wait 15 seconds while it looks for something than to slow down everything else I have.  Honestly, the only thing I really use that indexing for is for the Music App which I'm not using until you get that OneDrive integration turned on.

    So, I turned off that piece, added a firewall entry to block the LiveComm.exe from hitting the messenger servers there, and now I set Windows Update to check for updates but to not try to install them.  

    So far so good.  I just wish I could schedule these checks to only do these types of things after hours instead of while I'm actively working.  If I have to wait 15 seconds while searching which I rarely do, then I'll do that.  No problem with that.

    Still love Windows 8 and 10 though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments