TiWorker 50% of CPU and Updating doesn't work in any way

Anonymous
2013-01-19T22:59:18+00:00

I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-01T19:45:49+00:00

I had the same problem on my Toshiba Z30t running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro. Soon after unboxing it, I ran Windows Update, and after 30 or so updates were downloaded and installed, TiWorker.exe reared its head and pretty much took over my laptop.

After a bunch of googling over the past couple days, I ended up following the advice from this bit-tech column about Microsoft's botched update of the servicing stack.

Opening command line in Administrator mode, I executed the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command with the following switches:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And after a reboot, no more TiWorker.exe hogging my Z30t, even when I've left it idle.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-16T23:27:56+00:00

    I just bought a Lenovo Windows 8 Pc. Brand new.. And I try using this thing for school I can't even use word without other programs.. Microsoft Safety Scanner does nothing for me.. and the Tieworker takes like 70% of my CPU. This makes me frustrated. I use my money for a product for SCHOOL and it doesn't even work without "not responding" programs.. I am a Windows fan I have a 360 and a Xbox one. I just got this PC and it's not even working. I am the only one in my house with a Windows computer everyone has a mac because of this issue. I contacted support they told me to go buy another 100$ ram! When this one was the same thing...... I am very frustrated right now...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-15T14:38:30+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for the update.

    Thank you for sharing the resolution with us which will help others facing the same problems to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-07-02T15:00:51+00:00

    use a anti virus and scan trusted installer it immediately stooped! and u have ur computer!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-18T09:35:25+00:00

    After 39 updates installed, I now have this issue but I am a novice and having read through this thread am totally baffled...yes, I am one of those people, sorry! What I do get, loud and clear, is that the Microsoft bods replying are either deliberately playing dumb or...

    After someone explained in detail that the issue IS NOT resolved by any sort of scan, a Microsoft bright spark suggested a scan, after someone posted their "fix", a Microsoft bright spark congratulated them and offered further help but the "fix" was turning off Windows updates! In addition to be of further or more assistance you have to have been of help in the first place!

    Gee, thanks Microsoft, what would you suggest I do now? I did actually try the fixes KV suggested and guess what, they were no good.  Method 1 did not create any online instructions to follow, the link in Method 2 is a bad link and to perform a clean boot I have to be in administrator?? Yeah...

    Microsoft, perhaps you were unaware but when you apply updates to someone's laptop etc the updates are supposed to improve not devastate performance and when your engineers wade in they are supposed to a) read, comprehend and respond to the written word, b) make a reply that demonstrates that they have read and comprehended the words written to them and c) FIX THE PROBLEM. Get it?!

    Thank you to everyone (except those in the employ of MS) for this thread, I shall now try and "fixit" using your suggestions. Gonna be a long day...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments