TiWorker 50% of CPU and Updating doesn't work in any way

Anonymous
2013-01-19T22:59:18+00:00

I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-01T19:45:49+00:00

I had the same problem on my Toshiba Z30t running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro. Soon after unboxing it, I ran Windows Update, and after 30 or so updates were downloaded and installed, TiWorker.exe reared its head and pretty much took over my laptop.

After a bunch of googling over the past couple days, I ended up following the advice from this bit-tech column about Microsoft's botched update of the servicing stack.

Opening command line in Administrator mode, I executed the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command with the following switches:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And after a reboot, no more TiWorker.exe hogging my Z30t, even when I've left it idle.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-18T14:54:42+00:00

    Ran the command line instruction before I went to bed and all was well the next morning. Memory hog TiWorker.exe was gone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-09T17:41:31+00:00

    The purpose of a computer is to automate tasks allowing the user increased time savings. This TiWorker nonsense hangs up computers making them worthless. Worse, users are expected to fix it themselves which is more nonsense. I am finding Microsoft is trying to trap users into being unwilling advertising cash cows for Microsoft which explains most of the complaints with their software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-09T05:27:35+00:00

    Under an Administrator account, do the following.

    Click the Search (magnifying glass) icon in the lower left.

    Type in:

    CMD

    but don't press enter.

    Right-click the "Command Prompt" icon above and select "Run as Administrator."  A DOS window will appear.

    Select the DOS window and type into it the following:

    DISM /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

    Now wait about an hour.  When the command is done, reboot your computer.

    Lastly, **** you Microsoft for making this problem impossible for anyone but a computer expert to solve.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-12-18T09:54:25+00:00

    I get same problem in windows 10 64. update say there are no new updates all upto date. but i click on search  for update button(i use german windows so text is translate to english) and i have luck. after the message again come "my system is on newest standing" the thread do no high CPU load. maybe help other too and is most easy way to solve the problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments