TiWorker 50% of CPU and Updating doesn't work in any way

Anonymous
2013-01-19T22:59:18+00:00

I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-01T19:45:49+00:00

I had the same problem on my Toshiba Z30t running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro. Soon after unboxing it, I ran Windows Update, and after 30 or so updates were downloaded and installed, TiWorker.exe reared its head and pretty much took over my laptop.

After a bunch of googling over the past couple days, I ended up following the advice from this bit-tech column about Microsoft's botched update of the servicing stack.

Opening command line in Administrator mode, I executed the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command with the following switches:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And after a reboot, no more TiWorker.exe hogging my Z30t, even when I've left it idle.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-01T03:23:43+00:00

    I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

    It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

    I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

    I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

    I fixed mine, not the best solution but hey it works

    go/to  Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings

    then select never check for updates. all done ;)

    just remember to check for updates manually once in a while

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-28T19:46:11+00:00

    I'm having the same problem with a brand new Dell all-in-one.  TiWorker.exe is reading at about 800kb/sec and writing at about 200kb/sec, and has done so for 10 minutes, leaving my machine almost unusably slow.  Performance Monitor shows nearly all file accesses are under \windows\winsxs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-18T01:33:51+00:00

    I cant believe I had the same type of problem with that "tiworker.exe" program or file or whatever. I just bought a Toshiba satellite C855D-S5320 and instead of getting better performance I got a load of trouble shooting duties for my Saturday. I don't know if its a Toshiba problem or a Windows problem but gees, come on seriously? The fact that I have to be doing investigations, trouble shooting, tracking down rouge programs is infuriating and so disappointing. Then I read the "tech" solution to the problem and its more of the same scanning and probing and downloading another "diagnostic" program on top of Toshiba's and Microsoft and Norton's! It's a NEW COMPUTER!!!! Why is this causing such a problem for the system to handle. I noticed that it was taking up all the resources and massively slowing down the CPU until I finally just rebooted the whole thing. Its recorded in the logs as a potential compatibility problem.

    Yeah, It's not a Toshiba problem, it's a Windows 8 problem. I'm having this problem on my HP Pavillion G7, It's really annoying that the recommended service, "Microsoft Security Essentials" is only for Windows 7. It's also annoying that tiworker.exe is a Windows task not a virus, and they recommend a virus scanner.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T03:47:22+00:00

    The link to the troubleshooter helped, but only a little.  It confirmed that it could not fix the failure to update Windows.  Manual install does not work either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments