TiWorker 50% of CPU and Updating doesn't work in any way

Anonymous
2013-01-19T22:59:18+00:00

I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-01T19:45:49+00:00

I had the same problem on my Toshiba Z30t running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro. Soon after unboxing it, I ran Windows Update, and after 30 or so updates were downloaded and installed, TiWorker.exe reared its head and pretty much took over my laptop.

After a bunch of googling over the past couple days, I ended up following the advice from this bit-tech column about Microsoft's botched update of the servicing stack.

Opening command line in Administrator mode, I executed the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command with the following switches:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And after a reboot, no more TiWorker.exe hogging my Z30t, even when I've left it idle.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T21:17:54+00:00

    I just went through this whole tiworker thing again recently. I had trouble with Windows 8.1 and imaged my system back to Windows 8 and the tiworker SLAMMED my CPU for days. My computer was running so hot I would turn it off just to give it a break.

    Every day I would check for updates and it would say there weren't any. On the third day of checking for updates, Windows Updates showed three OS updates to install - after that tiworker stopped.  I am guessing getting the system patched/updated to "current" is a process, with tiworker checking your configuration.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T20:49:43+00:00

    somethimes all Windows needs is a lil TLC, its not too hard to get anything to work, I have many programs and running one at a time is no problem at all, even with this Windows 8 that everyone see's as bad, it has its moments but after a update just give it a lil time to adjust, after all, it just took a large hit of change's, did u? imagine urself in ur computers position, learning over 10,000 new things in under 10 mins, sometimes more or less then 10 mins, can u do that? even half those things already exist just changing how it knows them, if u can do that, u don't need a computer lol, if u can do that, u have super human talents and don't need to even go to college for ur intellect, but, since ur computer is no smarter then the people that make it, just give it time, and TLC, and it'll fix the 50-100% usage itself

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-22T21:02:42+00:00

    Thanks for info.

    I did install Office 2013 and the issue may have started happening just after this.  I then couldn't get Windows update to run and it would just go into downloading updates but never get past 0%.   Just switched Windows Update service back on to check update history.  The update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795944 is shown as failed and the only update that succeeded was KB2820197.

    Will attempt to fix the KB2795944 by reinstalling using standalone download.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-22T20:08:51+00:00

    I don't know if this matters, but when I first clean installed Windows 8 Pro it was a nightmare with TiWorker.  It doesn't happen much now -  and when it does happen inevitably it is an update for Office 2013.  Most of these posts are for new machines (myself included as I ended up here right after I installed and patched Windows 8 Pro.)  Just passing along...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments