So, just to be clear, Microsoft has decided that it will show images in e-mail when it wants to and will ignore the desires of the user. Got it... "by design"
I suggest changing the text for that setting from "Block images and other external content in HTML email" to "Block images and other external content in HTML email (except MSN/Outlook/Hotmail)" to avoid any confusion by users in the future.
Your link is not helpful. It doesn't even mention "Outlook with DeltaSync". It deals with someone who WANTS to see all their images. We do not. And thought, erroneously, that the setting mentioned would cover that. It does... for all e-mail except MSN/Outlook/Hotmail.
I have made the global setting change to only read in plain text and have begun to transition my accounts away from MSN.
Thank you for finally acknowledging that this is an actual issue and not some anomaly being seen by the other users in this thread.
Well, unfortunately, it appears that No_UserName is 100% correct. This is definitely not "by design," but rather a flaw in the product that is not being acknowledged by the right people.
I would feel better is ¡Firedog is right and the server blocks web beacons, but I agree that we would need to see something that states that from Microsoft. I get too much blatant junk mail in my Inbox that Microsoft spam-filtering just can't seem to
figure out so I don't need any more acknowledgement to spammers that my email address is valid.
Regardless, this does not fix the problem that Windows Live Mail is showing the images when it should not be, so, like it or not, this is definitely a bug in the software... unless the wording gets changed to have an exception for Microsoft mail accounts
like No_UserName half-joked.
Unfortunately, until something changes, it looks like I'll have to agree with No_UserName and start to shift my email to a non-Microsoft email account.
-- Jim