RECONNECT:FILE HISTORY DRIVE.

Anonymous
2013-04-04T06:42:51+00:00

I AM ON THE PAGE,RECONNECT YOUR DRIVE.A BIG RED CROSS TELLS ME WHERE ,BUT NOTHING WORKS.TOSHIBA NOTEBOOK 850L SATELLITE RUNNING WINDOWS 8 .3 MONTHS OLD,CHANGED SECURITY FROM TO AVG.NOTHING I READ TELLS ME HOW TO!!NOT CLICK HERE AND THERE.JUST WONT RECCONECT.OH! INTERNAL DRIVE.IM 67 YRS OLD ,FIRST COMPUTER.IT SEEMS THAT PROBLEMS ARE BUILT IN FOR A HUGE REPAIR SYSTEM.THERE MUST BE A SOLUTION TO CONNECT WITHOUT CONNECTING AN EXTERNAL DRIVE.IF I BUY ONE AND THIS DOESNT FIX THE PROBLEM,WHERE ARE THE EXPERTS!!HELLO I AM JERRY..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-12T15:17:25+00:00

    According to Search I don't have File History on my machine.  Why am I getting these annoying messages to connect my File History drive?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-04T08:32:07+00:00

    Hi Giony,

     

    Let’s try these methods and check if it helps.

     

    Method 1: Uninstall and then reconnect the external hard drive

     

    This method resolves issues where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt.

     

    a. Press Windows Key + X, click on Device Manager.

    b. Click Disk Drives from the list of hardware.

    c. Right-click the USB external hard drive with the issue, and click Uninstall.

    d. After the hard drive is uninstalled, unplug the USB cable.

    e. Wait for 1 minute and then reconnect the USB cable. The driver should automatically load (You may also try installing latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website).

    f. Check for the USB drive in Windows Explorer.

     

    Method 2: Set up a drive for File History

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

     

    For more information, refer to the link.

     

    **How to use File History** ****

     

    Do let us know about the results. We will be happy to assist you.

    Okay, my driver works when I plug in the Flash Drive "USB Stick."  The main problem is that the when the Flash Drive is in and ready to be Flashed.  "Hence the File History Utility." 

    1st   Thing is  when Flash is plugged in Turn On History.

    2nd Thing is I click "run now" File History shows its on

    3rd  Thing is it starts to Save onto the Pen Drive then it Alarms out saying unknown error.

    4th  Thing is it says.

    1. File History doesn't recognize this drive "removable Disk (D:)" unknown error. When its plugged in any other time the port allows me to see the info on the removable flash drive?

    Do I need to back up my hard drive first to allow it to be expunged of off the File History Utility?

    If so also having a problem with that transition as well?

    When I try to back up entire hard drive regularly. To itself.  Under the Windows 7 File Recovery.  "Clicking"

    Change Settings, then I look for the C: Drive to back it up.  Only drive detected or shown is the stupid removable D:  drive.  Hence the "Flash Drive it says it cant read?  Very, confused as what to do. 

    When my PC Win 8 was fresh out of the Box.  I actually remember  walking through the File History.  Also have the original Administrative File.   Already refreshed my PC before this whole Project began.  Yesterday.   Today just need to know if it's a Glitch??  Maybe theirs an easy way to allow a smooth transitional backup.  Detecting the Original Harddrive would be great... Backing it up to the Internal Hardrive.   Thank You.  Sharief K    

    Giony

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-04T07:23:10+00:00

    Hi Giony,

    Let’s try these methods and check if it helps.

    Method 1: Uninstall and then reconnect the external hard drive

    This method resolves issues where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt.

    a. Press Windows Key + X, click on Device Manager.

    b. Click Disk Drives from the list of hardware.

    c. Right-click the USB external hard drive with the issue, and click Uninstall.

    d. After the hard drive is uninstalled, unplug the USB cable.

    e. Wait for 1 minute and then reconnect the USB cable. The driver should automatically load (You may also try installing latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website).

    f. Check for the USB drive in Windows Explorer.

    Method 2: Set up a drive for File History

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

    For more information, refer to the link.

    **How to use File History** ****

    Do let us know about the results. We will be happy to assist you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-04T06:17:07+00:00

    I AM ON THE PAGE,RECONNECT YOUR DRIVE.A BIG RED CROSS TELLS ME WHERE ,BUT NOTHING WORKS.TOSHIBA NOTEBOOK 850L SATELLITE RUNNING WINDOWS 8 .3 MONTHS OLD,CHANGED SECURITY FROM TO AVG.NOTHING I READ TELLS ME HOW TO!!NOT CLICK HERE AND THERE.JUST WONT RECCONECT.OH! INTERNAL DRIVE.IM 67 YRS OLD ,FIRST COMPUTER.IT SEEMS THAT PROBLEMS ARE BUILT IN FOR A HUGE REPAIR SYSTEM.THERE MUST BE A SOLUTION TO CONNECT WITHOUT CONNECTING AN EXTERNAL DRIVE.IF I BUY ONE AND THIS DOESNT FIX THE PROBLEM,WHERE ARE THE EXPERTS!!HELLO I AM JERRY..

    "Errors"

    1. Your files will be temporarily copied to your hard drive until you reconnect your File History drive and run a backup.
    2. File History doesn't recognize this drive "removable Disk (D:)" unkown error
    3. We can't copy your files to this location
    4. Your current File History drive is diconnected.
    5. Reconnect the drive and try again.

    This is my problem as well.  What is happening is, when the "USB STICK" or External Drive is plugged in.  Win 8 has a Red X.  Not allowing for the File History to Start the Copying process. Help Us Please "SOS"

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments