Hi,
I found a solution: uninstall and reinstall! It works perfectly now: CPU used = 0% and the background picture is correctly refreshed.
Regards
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
Bing Desktop (bingdesktop.exe) constantly uses more than 20% of my CPU.
I'm running W7 on an i7 quad-core with 8GB,
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
I found a solution: uninstall and reinstall! It works perfectly now: CPU used = 0% and the background picture is correctly refreshed.
Regards
Rather than a full uninstall/reinstall/reconfig trip, I just stopped the Bing Desktop app, and deleted :
- all folders under %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\BingDesktop
- the file %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\BingDesktop\dailypingtag.dat
Kept only 2 files : "settings.ini" and "user-id.config"
Then reran Bing Desktop ... and now seems to be OK, it does not eat all CPU again.
Hope this helps ...
Seemed like a good suggestion so I tried it.
Results were intially encouraging - no CPU hogging...
No desktop picture switching either, then crashed shortly afterwards :(
Re-ran it. No crash or CPU hogging this time. No picture switching either, but maybe all I need to do is wait until tomorrow's picture. Will report back.
Hi.
The problem returns every year twice - when the clocks change. The morning after the change Bing wallpaper stays the same as the day before and the CPU usage jumps up significantly. As if some process gets in the loop and can't find the way out of it.
Whatever the reason, re-installing Bing Desktop solves the issue. So here's the price to use the free application - remember to re-install it twice a year and you are good to go :)
YES, that's a brillant and smart solution: worked for me too and fetched the Bing Desktop image of today.
Rather than a full uninstall/reinstall/reconfig trip, I just stopped the Bing Desktop app, and deleted :
Kept only 2 files : "settings.ini" and "user-id.config"
Then reran Bing Desktop ... and now seems to be OK, it does not eat all CPU again.
Hope this helps ...