bingdesktop.exe over 20% CPU

Anonymous
2013-04-02T09:16:53+00:00

Hello,

Bing Desktop (bingdesktop.exe) constantly uses more than 20% of my CPU. 

I'm running W7 on an i7 quad-core with 8GB,

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-06T11:42:40+00:00

Hi,

I found a solution: uninstall and reinstall! It works perfectly now: CPU used = 0% and the background picture is correctly refreshed.

Regards

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-04T11:08:10+00:00

    Phew, I am not alone, glad to see that :)

    My Bing Desktop version: 1.2.115.0

    http://sdrv.ms/YxHhfD

    Screenshot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-04T07:24:39+00:00

    Hi,

    I have the same problem.

    Since the weekend Bing Desktop (bingdesktop.exe) constantly uses around 25% of my CPU and the backgound picture does not refresh anymore.

    It happens on both of my laptops, btw.

    Bing version: 1.2.113.0

    Would be great if this could be fixed...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-03T18:37:00+00:00

    Hi I've got the same issue as Anil Kumar B with BingDesktop.exe, it takes over 40% of CPU usage for 2 or 3 days now. I'm running Win8 on a i7 2677M with 4Gb of memory. And the Bing Wallpaper doesn't reffresh any more !Got the 3th of march wallpaper. Didn't install anything for few days.

    I think this is not an web browser problem as you suggest it but a Bing Desktop application problem.

    Could you please help us !

    Thanks.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-04-03T12:44:27+00:00

    Thanks for your reply.

    I have several web browsers installed. IE9 is primary. Others are Opera, Chrome, Safari and FF.

    But I don't understand your question.

    My question was about "BING Desktop", the installed software that changes the wallpaper of my system to the daily picture on BING.

    I do not see any sense in using safe mode. 

    In safe mode the resolution is low and BING wallpaper makes no sense.

    I do not see the reason for method 1. This is not a browser related problem. Anything else I do with IE9 runs just fine.

    I have checked my Computer with several security/adware/malware scanners, including a boot from a AN rescue CD - nothing found.

    I have used process explorer from Sysinternals to find the processes that peak.

    bingdesktop.exe eats up 25% constantly.

    The process properties reveal the one thread is responsible for the CPU load.

    ntdll.dll!TpCallbackIndependent+0x238

    Regards

    Mano

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments