How can i write with a stylus on a pdf file with surface rt?

Anonymous
2013-02-05T10:41:55+00:00

Hi I'm a college student and I am just wondering if I could write on my pdf lecture notes or do I have to send it to OneNote first?

Thanks guys. ��

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-03-08T08:12:45+00:00

Print the document to OneNote,

use the stylus for comments

print the document as PDF

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-19T11:27:58+00:00

This response is mystifying.  The student wants to write on a PDF but he cannot do it.  Responding with the question "Which app are you using to write on PDF files" totally begs the question.  The student clearly says he cannot write on the files.  Ergo, he is not using any app and is not currently writing on PDFs.  Your response should have been either "sorry, you cannot perform this function" or "You can perform this function by using a third-party app such as [identify apps]. 

I have the same issue.  I am an attorney.  I want to make handwritten notes on PDF files using my Surface Pro 3.  The OneNote program is buggy and I cannot write on PDFs using that program. 

On my iPad, I use NotesPlus and it works fine.  But I don't want to use the ipad -- I want to use my Surface Pro 3.  

Just answer the question directly -- tell us in simple English whether you can make hand-written notes on the Surface Pro and if yes, explain how we do it.  Do not simply use one of the canned answers that MS provides.  Type up an answer that directly relates to the question and provides a clear answer.  Thank you.

I manage to sign / make notes from Surface 3 Pro on PDF documents. I manage this by opening PDF with Reader application, which I understand is part of Windows 10 package.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-10T19:18:29+00:00

    I'm not sure if you are looking for a solution at this time due to the fact that this post is over a year old. 

    I have had some success with using Nuance PowerPDF which allows me to convert PDF's to word docs.  The nuance program offers some ability to mark up PDF's, but I have found Word to be a little more streamline, although not perfect.  It is helped by the fact that Word has integrated the stylus into the tool bar and has a separate tab for it. 

    I have edited and proofed docs for my company.  I am sure that there is a learning curve that will improve my efficiency. 

    I switch back and forth between the stylus and using the review feature of the program which allows you to highlight a word or paragraph and type notes in the margin.  There is a line connecting the note you typed to the highlighted word or paragraph you are referring to.  The stylus works well, but I have not figured out how to use it completely. I find it auto formats and completes some unwanted actions from time to time and this can be frustrating (but Control-Z will undo the aut-function and return your stylus mark).  It is similar to figuring out the auto-formatting quirks within the program.  

    When I am done I print it using the Nuance Print to PDF option I can choose as a printer.  When you print it it saves as a PDF (which I am sure you would assume).  Make sure you print the comments in the margin and you will have a PDF with typed comments and hand written markups on the PDF.

    It's not perfect but people at the company appreciate the format of the proofing I send back to them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-09-04T20:57:53+00:00

    I like Xodo, but I like it much better in Android with my Galaxy Note 4 than I do in Windows 10.  The menus are a bit clunky, and you can't just open a file with C-o.  And it puts all of the files as tabs in one window instead of separate windows each.  But I like it better than Drawboard, which has a weird interface.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-31T15:36:10+00:00

    PDF is a secure Document format, so to write / annotate on a pdf follow these steps :

    1. Open PDF ( Reader / Edge or any other app)
    2. Click on Comments
    3. select Pen or Highlighter
    4. Save your comments

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments