disappearing pointer with windows 8 touch screen laptop

Anonymous
2012-12-16T17:25:30+00:00

I just got an ACER v5-571 touch screen laptop.  I have no mouse and use mouse pad to move the pointer.  It worked great until today.  The pointer is no longer visible.  I set to use the ctl key to see where the pointer is.  It shows me where the pointer is located by a big circle.  I tried to change some mouse settings.  The pointer is still not visible.  Any suggestion?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-02T18:34:00+00:00

I solved the mystery of disappearing pointer.  Suddenly remembered a few days before the disappearing of pointers, I was planning to show a movie via the hmdi port.  In the dark I played with some of the function keys.  Apparently I pressed the "hide the pointer" key (fn F7), next to the "two screens" key (fn + F6).   After press "fn" + F7 again.  The pointer returned.  No wonder all other suggestions failed to work.  I don't know if this info will help you, just to share.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-30T00:17:43+00:00

    Thank you for your post!! I have an ASUS and have not been able to get my cursor back no matter what I did! The FN plus F7 solved it instantly!! Thank you so much!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-30T00:19:09+00:00

    I've been having this problem. The pointer either freezes or disappears. I have set the cntl key to find it, which works fine. What I have been doing (and it works okay) is to go to the Windows 8 screen (with all the tiles) and "tab" to the bottom arrow that opens the app list. Then i use arrow keys to go to Control Panel/Devices/Mouse and I find that the mousepad has been reset to wired regular mouse. I use the arrow keys to change the setting, tab to the "okay" button and restart (best luck when I shut down and then restart. But it still keeps going back and freezing. I haven't found the cause (web page or whatever). I'd still like a patch that fixes the glitch though. Any chance it's related to adware or anything like that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-12T01:21:19+00:00

    Same, nothing happens when I click fn and 7.  I have an acer touchscreen.  When I press the control button, a circle appears over the area where the mouse must be, but still no cursor. Any suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-12T03:19:09+00:00

                Any suggestions?

    Get a real mouse.  If you move the pointer it will then show.  If you have a real numeric keypad (or even a real keyboard that can generate real numeric keypad scan codes) you could try using Mousekeys to simulate using a real mouse.  E.g. then all you might require would be tapping on any of the direction keys to make the pointer show.  I don't think it will show though if you just tap one of its buttons.  You have to simulate movement of the pointer by a real mouse.

    FYI

    Robert Aldwinckle


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments