disappearing pointer with windows 8 touch screen laptop

Anonymous
2012-12-16T17:25:30+00:00

I just got an ACER v5-571 touch screen laptop.  I have no mouse and use mouse pad to move the pointer.  It worked great until today.  The pointer is no longer visible.  I set to use the ctl key to see where the pointer is.  It shows me where the pointer is located by a big circle.  I tried to change some mouse settings.  The pointer is still not visible.  Any suggestion?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-02T18:34:00+00:00

I solved the mystery of disappearing pointer.  Suddenly remembered a few days before the disappearing of pointers, I was planning to show a movie via the hmdi port.  In the dark I played with some of the function keys.  Apparently I pressed the "hide the pointer" key (fn F7), next to the "two screens" key (fn + F6).   After press "fn" + F7 again.  The pointer returned.  No wonder all other suggestions failed to work.  I don't know if this info will help you, just to share.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-17T03:30:36+00:00

    I tried to change some mouse settings.

    Which ones?   FWIW in my Mouse settings I see a Pointers tab.   In there I can change the "Scheme".   If you have the same feature, try changing to a different scheme?

    BTW doing a  Win-W  for pointer  finds an item labeled "Change how the mouse pointer looks" but opening that only brings up the right dialog, not in the Pointers tab.   YMMV.

    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle


    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-29T00:20:48+00:00

    I am having this same issue on a two day old Asus Q200 touch.   I have yet to recover the mouse.

    A formal report to Microsoft support is the next move, as  no answers have come from web searches.  I suggest you do the same,  all the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-02T22:54:53+00:00

    Apparently I pressed the "hide the pointer" key (fn F7)

     

    No wonder all other suggestions failed to work. 

    I suspect that that is just a convenient way of making a change that would be awkward to do more conventionally, so I still think you could have found some settings in your Mouse Properties which would have reflected your change and been able to be undone there.   If you're curious and want to find out for sure, you could run ProcMon (available from TechNet) for its Registry tracing.   Use a filter such as  Operation Is RegSetValue  to try to capture whatever it is that your keyboard shortcut is doing.  Then try to find if there is something equivalent in the Mouse Properties dialog which does that too.

    Anyway, thanks for sharing your resolution.

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-08T22:06:42+00:00

    I solved the mystery of disappearing pointer.  Suddenly remembered a few days before the disappearing of pointers, I was planning to show a movie via the hmdi port.  In the dark I played with some of the function keys.  Apparently I pressed the "hide the pointer" key (fn F7), next to the "two screens" key (fn + F6).   After press "fn" + F7 again.  The pointer returned.  No wonder all other suggestions failed to work.  I don't know if this info will help you, just to share.

     

     

    Thanks so much!  FN+ F7 did it.

    I don't know if this is relevant but I noticed it has gone missing after watching a movie and shutting the lid. But again, thank you for sharing this :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments