Windows 8 - Zero key on numeric key pad doesn't work

Anonymous
2013-06-13T03:04:33+00:00

I have Windows 8 on a Samsung laptop.

When NUMLOCK is on, all numbers work EXCEPT the zero (0) key. 

When pressed, it opens the small 'undo' menu in the top left corner of the screen.  It is as though the Function-0 key is stuck.

Any ideas to fix would be appreciated.

Jan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-21T16:58:58+00:00

My Samsung laptop has a "Fn Lock" key right above the + key.  I pressed it and it fixed the issue you describe.

I finally found it after a day or two of dealing with the 0 key menu issue.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-13T04:14:59+00:00

    I've never seen this undo menu you mention, maybe it's a special feature from Samsung.  In any case, it sounds like that keypress is being seen, so I agree with you that most likely the FN key is stuck (or there is some kind of FN-lock).  Let me ask though, when did this start?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-13T04:33:32+00:00

    How to Use the Numeric Keypad on Your Laptop

    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-the-numeric-keypad-on-your-laptop.html

    See if you can get support for your model at the Samsung website

    Home Support Laptops

    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/NP-QX410-J01US

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-13T17:27:09+00:00

    I am not sure when it started... it just started happening.  Which makes me pretty sure that I have done something ... locked the function or the key or turned something on.

    I played around with it after requesting help.  The menu that pops up in every application is the editing menu.  In explorer, it is a small menu with just undo, cut, copy, paste, delete, select all.

    If I press the '0' when using MS Word, I get the editing menu, but the more sophisiticate 'Word' menu.

    Same thing in each application - editing menu with whatever 'add-ons' are part of that particular program.

    This happens whether I am in Num-Lock or not.  When not Num-Locked, the default action for the '0' key should be 'insert' but it doesn't work either.  It is more frustrating than anything because I do use the numeric key-pad  a fair bit.

    I will try the Samsung tech help because it is likely a hardware problem.  Someone also suggested I take a look at my control panel settings for the keyboard. There may be a function-lock setting I don't know about...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-19T16:29:15+00:00

    Try pressing Ctrl and Fn key and the Num lock key together. This should revert the keys back as normal.

    Let us know if this works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments