Windows Modules Installer Worker causes memory hog

Anonymous
2013-06-20T16:05:57+00:00

The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-29T14:07:28+00:00

    The issue might be due to corrupted user account. As a work around, I would suggest you to create a new user account and check the issues status in the new user account. This helps us to diagnose the issue.

    Create a user account.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-25T03:39:17+00:00

    how can a user account, made online for Hotmail, xbox, ect, be corrupt, I googled this issue found all of this, and none of it is helping. cannot even restart the problem because it wont let it. can I get rid of 8.1 without having any more problems, or will I be hounded for updates all the time. Ive always been anti-apple due to pricing, but maybe there is something behind having something that doesn't hog all your resources all the time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-25T06:45:32+00:00

    its not a corrupt user account, that's just a BS red herring they throw out there.

    like i said, just do a google search, this is WIDESPREAD.  I understand that they want to eliminate cases where it is corruption or unique to the user, but this all points to bad code, not something else.

    I don't use my laptop for ANYTHING other than streaming video to my TV, that's it, and this happens to me.  whats so annoying is that the issue can be intermittent, so its not all the time, but its enough of the time, and whats worse is that even when u manually end the task, it can start up again on its own.  on a low powered laptop, that can ruin a viewing exp.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-28T15:25:59+00:00

    To turn it off right click, properties, and there's a tab in which I think it says "automatic" or "manually", just click it and press disable and it will disable. I hope this helps :D

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-11-03T00:26:05+00:00

    ok I found an easy fix but if you want this module on again you have to find it yourself

    a. Press Win + R on the keyboard

    b. Type Services.msc and hit OK

    c. Right click on the service the options Stop and restart the service.

     c is where it doesnt work the options are greyed out

    you need to enter properties and change how it startsup to manual from automatic

    then end it in task manager

    a program called windows module installer worker

     send me an email if this was helpful or not

    Also thank tomtwice for the idea

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments