Windows Modules Installer Worker causes memory hog

Anonymous
2013-06-20T16:05:57+00:00

The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-28T16:15:02+00:00

    Thank you so much for replying. My laptop was finally usable after a horrible 8.1 update (which I had to reinstall everything from bare metal) and now it is unusable again after Update 1.

    Step 1 - I ran the DISM tool three times. It found corruption, and then fixed it. I checked for updates again, there were several and I installed them. Reboot. Same problem. After about 7 minutes of 100% disk, I am back to the Windows Module Installer Worker using 50% or more of the CPU for several hours now.

    I tried the built in troubleshooting. It found an error with the update and fixed it. Still have the same problem.

    Step 2 - sfc refused to work. It says another servicing or repair operation is currently running...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-28T16:31:02+00:00

    Note: I just ran dism again. No corruption found. But the Windows Installer Module Worker is working away!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-28T16:56:39+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for the reply.

    Did you try to start the Windows Installer Module manually?

    a. Press Win + R on the keyboard

    b. Type Services.msc and hit OK

    c. Right click on the service the options Stop and restart the service.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-06T13:10:21+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for the reply.

    Did you try to start the Windows Installer Module manually?

    a. Press Win + R on the keyboard

    b. Type Services.msc and hit OK

    c. Right click on the service the options Stop and restart the service.

    Hello,

    The problem that we seem to be sharing appears to be with Windows Modules Installer Worker.

    Using your Services.msc instructions allows me to access the Windows Modules Installer Worker properties but the options - Start, Stop, Pause, Resume, Restart - are all greyed out and none is selectable.  Incidentally, all of these options are greyed out in Windows Modules Installer, too. (I am running in Admin mode, in case that makes any difference.)

    Using the Task Manager, I have been able to select the Windows Modules Installer Worker and then end the task.  The CPU usage drops right back down to single figures and the memory figure drops back down by about 50%; the Windows Modules Installer still seems to be working "normally".

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-29T01:14:27+00:00

    Windows Modules Installer Worker is a CPU and memory hog, and it never quits!

    this was not a problem when I first got this laptop.  after one of the windows updates, it is a problem.

    this is nonsense.  why in gods name can't MS figure out how to do things properly?

    this has been going on FOR YEARS.  just look at a google search of the service name.

    FIX IT ALREADY!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments