Hi Frank,
Refer to previous post, which has clear information about safe and clean boot. Check the issue status in the safe and clean boot and check.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Frank,
Refer to previous post, which has clear information about safe and clean boot. Check the issue status in the safe and clean boot and check.
I do not see it taking a large amount of memory, just 10%, but I do notice maintenance running at odd times. It is scheduled to run in the middle of the night while I am asleep, yet when I get off work & wake my computer from it's slumber I see the system maintenance start running when I am planning to use the computer for other functions. Fairly annoying that it is not waking the computer & running this maintenance when scheduled to do so, rather than when I wish to use the computer...
The 1st option does not work, as clicking on Windows Modules Installer has the stop button (and all others) grayed out. It is set to run automatically so went to method 2.
Method 2 tells me that "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.
So I attempted to read the log in order to get a better understanding. Opening it with notepad & wordpad it tells me that access has been denied. Curious & wondering what to do next.
I just installed all Windows 8.1 updates in response to some of the recent news. Right after the install, the system slowed down a lot. My Norton 360 is reporting that Windows installer workers are essentially using 100% of the disk. Nothing changed except the updates. The updates reported complete as normal.
sfc /scannow did not work. It says:
"Another servicing or repair operation is currently running.
Wait for this to finish and run sfc again."
How long do I have to wait? Why is it doing this? All I did was apply the Windows 8.1 Update 1.
Did you run the System file checker command on administrator command prompt?
Running the DISM tool and System File Checker tool help us to fix corrupted system files. Refer to these steps and check
Step 1: Refer to “Run the DISM tool” section. Please ignore the thread title.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-update-error-0x800b0100
Step 2:
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.