Windows Modules Installer Worker causes memory hog

Anonymous
2013-06-20T16:05:57+00:00

The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-21T13:48:19+00:00

    I agree with the posts. I updated 2 of my computers to 8.1 and am having problems with both memory that I've never had before. If MS is trying to lose customers they are getting ready to lose me. 

    I am not and have no desire to be a programmer and I'm getting a little tired of spending so much unproductive time addressing issues caused by Windows updates. 

    I had 2 computers that had no problems before the latest 8.1 update. Now, I getting ready to find another solution. I haven't liked MS since vista and they're just getting worse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-19T03:09:06+00:00

    this program is really annoying, i would be sitting reading a book or even worse sitting in class everyone is quiet and listening to the lecturer and all of the sudden the cpu fan goes apocalypse mode on me.

    i have decided i'm just going to disable all microsoft services that act this way but first wanted to ask if  there will be any serious effect and to me installing and unistalling updates isn't that serious since i have disabled updates for the same reason.

    so can i just disable this service. i have a list of disabled services that i am planning to enable only once a month.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-16T04:25:09+00:00

    Hi,

    You should take a look at Zodiac3011's reply in this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8\_1-performance/windows-modules-installer-worker-high-cpu-usage/bf3dc73e-0b05-4935-920c-22409323f258?rtAction=1418703269012

    I had been in your situation and I fixed it.

    Follow this instruction:

    Go to troubleshooting > System and security > Fix problems with windows update.

    Done. :) Goodluck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-15T23:35:01+00:00

    Trying to scan a single document, to e-mail as an attachment,  and the save is just 'hanging' because WMIW is hogging >50%.

    None of the comments below mean a darn thing to me so what am I supposed to do?

    As far as I can see, all I can do is either use the fax or resort to snail mail.

    MS Garbage

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-11-03T00:26:05+00:00

    ok I found an easy fix but if you want this module on again you have to find it yourself

    a. Press Win + R on the keyboard

    b. Type Services.msc and hit OK

    c. Right click on the service the options Stop and restart the service.

     c is where it doesnt work the options are greyed out

    you need to enter properties and change how it startsup to manual from automatic

    then end it in task manager

    a program called windows module installer worker

     send me an email if this was helpful or not

    Also thank tomtwice for the idea

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments