Windows Modules Installer Worker causes memory hog

Anonymous
2013-06-20T16:05:57+00:00

The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-01T13:48:58+00:00

    The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.

    Mine does this after windows update and all I do is manually run the maintenance and wait till it's done and that usually fixes it but keep in mind this can take from 5 minutes to 2 hours and while it's doing it windows modules installer may take lots of cpu memory and disk and I mean allot and when it's done it should go back to normal.... This always fixes mine... And maintenance always take longer then usual after windows update that's why I said up to 2 hours mine never takes that long even after windows update.... Hope this fixes it for u...😏 😏

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-10T07:14:46+00:00

    How did you "turn it off"?

    Windows, again you just suck. Make Windows that people who don't want to spend hours hacking their own system can use (if they even know anything about computers). Save the fancy stuff for those who want to add it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-25T13:01:48+00:00

    I turned mine off months ago and had no problems since.. Updates are fine, smooth running with NO lag or CPU Usage slowing down the process..  Hacking the Service ?  I don't think so, since it is giving you the option to do so ... !  The warning has not affected my computer in the least.. I just did it anyway and I'm glad I did..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-25T12:33:20+00:00

    I did everything you said to do and the only running process that was using up a bunch of CPU power and memory was the darn Windows Modules Installer Worker.  Can I turn it off or will that screw up my computer?

    IF you turn it off you will not be able to install updates UNLESS you remember to turn it back on.  Better method is to fix the problem correctly instead of hacking the service.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-05-25T11:48:34+00:00

    Yes,  you can (turn it off) and still be safe with no more lag and waiting !

    I did on mine and it has been running without problems ever since..!

    And remember you can always turn it back on !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments