This would be fine if it wasn't Windows Module Installer that was eating up my resources. It is at the top of the CPU usage list, using close to and over 40% of the cpu resources. task Manager is also using close to and over 40%. So between the two, my computer is basically not usable. And I spent over an hour yesterday installing the most recent updates. Now it is WORSE than it was.
Windows Modules Installer Worker causes memory hog
The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2016-09-14T20:09:24+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-09-01T13:48:58+00:00 The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.
Mine does this after windows update and all I do is manually run the maintenance and wait till it's done and that usually fixes it but keep in mind this can take from 5 minutes to 2 hours and while it's doing it windows modules installer may take lots of cpu memory and disk and I mean allot and when it's done it should go back to normal.... This always fixes mine... And maintenance always take longer then usual after windows update that's why I said up to 2 hours mine never takes that long even after windows update.... Hope this fixes it for u...😏 😏
-
Anonymous
2015-05-25T13:01:48+00:00 I turned mine off months ago and had no problems since.. Updates are fine, smooth running with NO lag or CPU Usage slowing down the process.. Hacking the Service ? I don't think so, since it is giving you the option to do so ... ! The warning has not affected my computer in the least.. I just did it anyway and I'm glad I did..
-
Anonymous
2015-05-25T12:33:20+00:00 I did everything you said to do and the only running process that was using up a bunch of CPU power and memory was the darn Windows Modules Installer Worker. Can I turn it off or will that screw up my computer?
IF you turn it off you will not be able to install updates UNLESS you remember to turn it back on. Better method is to fix the problem correctly instead of hacking the service.
-
Anonymous
2015-05-25T11:48:34+00:00 Yes, you can (turn it off) and still be safe with no more lag and waiting !
I did on mine and it has been running without problems ever since..!
And remember you can always turn it back on !