Windows Modules Installer Worker causes memory hog

Anonymous
2013-06-20T16:05:57+00:00

The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-22T14:45:26+00:00

    I can't add much more than MarkMfsi has said.

    I too am not a programmer, and all the BS that Microsoft spout to resolve the problem goes completely over my head. I haven't a clue what they're talking about. So I'm stuck with a PC that generally has CPU useage of >98%. How can that be right when all I'm doing is web browsing with Excel open.

    Being polite, that is RUBBISH!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-03T00:26:05+00:00

    ok I found an easy fix but if you want this module on again you have to find it yourself

    a. Press Win + R on the keyboard

    b. Type Services.msc and hit OK

    c. Right click on the service the options Stop and restart the service.

     c is where it doesnt work the options are greyed out

    you need to enter properties and change how it startsup to manual from automatic

    then end it in task manager

    a program called windows module installer worker

     send me an email if this was helpful or not

    Also thank tomtwice for the idea

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-28T16:15:02+00:00

    Thank you so much for replying. My laptop was finally usable after a horrible 8.1 update (which I had to reinstall everything from bare metal) and now it is unusable again after Update 1.

    Step 1 - I ran the DISM tool three times. It found corruption, and then fixed it. I checked for updates again, there were several and I installed them. Reboot. Same problem. After about 7 minutes of 100% disk, I am back to the Windows Module Installer Worker using 50% or more of the CPU for several hours now.

    I tried the built in troubleshooting. It found an error with the update and fixed it. Still have the same problem.

    Step 2 - sfc refused to work. It says another servicing or repair operation is currently running...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-27T23:21:34+00:00

    sfc /scannow did not work. It says:

    "Another servicing or repair operation is currently running.

    Wait for this to finish and run sfc again."

    How long do I have to wait? Why is it doing this? All I did was apply the Windows 8.1 Update 1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T09:34:03+00:00

    Hi Nick,

    Check if you can experience the issue in ‘Safe mode’; if safe mode works fine then set the computer to ‘Clean boot’ state to check for software conflicts.

    Step 1:

    Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode


    Step 2:

    Keep the computer in a clean boot and check for the issue status. If everything works fine after a clean boot, you can infer that some third party services are causing the problem. Proceed with the remaining steps to pin-point out the third party service. After you figure out the problem causing program, you may have to update or install a higher version of the program, if you seldom use that software you can consider uninstalling it.

    How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

    Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

    In Windows, you can use the Task Manager to see the current running processes. To open the Task Manager, press Control+Alt+Delete and click the "Task Manager" option. This will open the window below.

    In the Windows Task Manager window, click the Processes tab to view all running processes. Then click the "CPU" header to sort the processes by CPU usage. You can monitor the CPU usage for a few seconds to see what programs are consistently using the most CPU. If an errant process is using a large amount of CPU power, you can click the End Process button to kill the process. This will free up whatever percentage of CPU power the process was using.

    Important: Clicking End Process will immediately quit an application. Therefore, be careful not to end any programs that you are currently using, especially if you have not saved your work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments