To turn it off right click, properties, and there's a tab in which I think it says "automatic" or "manually", just click it and press disable and it will disable. I hope this helps :D
Windows Modules Installer Worker causes memory hog
The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-08-28T15:25:59+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-07-25T03:39:17+00:00 how can a user account, made online for Hotmail, xbox, ect, be corrupt, I googled this issue found all of this, and none of it is helping. cannot even restart the problem because it wont let it. can I get rid of 8.1 without having any more problems, or will I be hounded for updates all the time. Ive always been anti-apple due to pricing, but maybe there is something behind having something that doesn't hog all your resources all the time.
-
Anonymous
2014-06-06T13:10:21+00:00 Hi,
Thank you for the reply.
Did you try to start the Windows Installer Module manually?
a. Press Win + R on the keyboard
b. Type Services.msc and hit OK
c. Right click on the service the options Stop and restart the service.
Hello,
The problem that we seem to be sharing appears to be with Windows Modules Installer Worker.
Using your Services.msc instructions allows me to access the Windows Modules Installer Worker properties but the options - Start, Stop, Pause, Resume, Restart - are all greyed out and none is selectable. Incidentally, all of these options are greyed out in Windows Modules Installer, too. (I am running in Admin mode, in case that makes any difference.)
Using the Task Manager, I have been able to select the Windows Modules Installer Worker and then end the task. The CPU usage drops right back down to single figures and the memory figure drops back down by about 50%; the Windows Modules Installer still seems to be working "normally".
-
Anonymous
2014-05-27T23:42:16+00:00 Did you run the System file checker command on administrator command prompt?
Running the DISM tool and System File Checker tool help us to fix corrupted system files. Refer to these steps and check
Step 1: Refer to “Run the DISM tool” section. Please ignore the thread title.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-update-error-0x800b0100
Step 2:
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.
-
Anonymous
2013-12-30T12:26:38+00:00 Safe Mode makes Windows run only the essential drivers needed to boot into Windows.
Clean Boot disables all non-essential start up programs.