Windows Modules Installer Worker causes memory hog

Anonymous
2013-06-20T16:05:57+00:00

The Windows Modules Installer Worker service hogs up a lot of memory constantly & I can't figure out the reason.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-22T16:59:06+00:00

    Damn I hate this sort of problem.  It is currently using over 50% of my CPU resource.  I am not a programmer.  I am not a windows system expert.

    Microsoft really ought to supply software that WORKS PROPERLY.  That is what they are paid for.  In any other business if you supplied products that time after time caused problems like this you would go broke - Microsoft can only get away with it because they are a quasi-monopoly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1300+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-21T09:06:08+00:00

    Hi,


    Windows Modules Installer Enables installation, modification, and removal of Windows updates and optional components. If this service is disabled, you may not be able to install or uninstall Windows updates.

    1.       Have you checked if all the updates have installed successfully?

    2.       When do you get the error message?

    3.       Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

    To check that type Windows update and Start screen and select settings. Click View update history n the left pane.


    Method 1: Restart the Windows Modules Installer service

    a.       Press Win + R on the keyboard

    b.      Type Services.msc and hit OK

    c.       Right click on the service the options Stop and restart the service.

    Method 2: Let’s perform SFC Scan on the computer:


    a. Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.

    b. Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

    c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

    d. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.


    Method 3: Running the Memory Diagnostics Tool:

    When you receive a notification about a possible memory problem, click the notification to choose between two options for when to run the Memory Diagnostics Tool.

    Type memory diagnostic on the start screen and select Settings


    Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-30T11:25:56+00:00

    I hope that NickThomas_964 understands all that.      I don't even know what Safe Mode and Clean Boot mean!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-15T01:04:59+00:00

    I do not see it taking a large amount of memory, just 10%, but I do notice maintenance running at odd times. It is scheduled to run in the middle of the night while I am asleep, yet when I get off work & wake my computer from it's slumber I see the system maintenance start running when I am planning to use the computer for other functions. Fairly annoying that it is not waking the computer & running this maintenance when scheduled to do so, rather than when I wish to use the computer...

    The 1st option does not work, as clicking on Windows Modules Installer has the stop button (and all others) grayed out. It is set to run automatically so went to method 2.

    Method 2 tells me that "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

    So I attempted to read the log in order to get a better understanding. Opening it with notepad & wordpad it tells me that access has been denied. Curious & wondering what to do next.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-29T01:14:27+00:00

    Windows Modules Installer Worker is a CPU and memory hog, and it never quits!

    this was not a problem when I first got this laptop.  after one of the windows updates, it is a problem.

    this is nonsense.  why in gods name can't MS figure out how to do things properly?

    this has been going on FOR YEARS.  just look at a google search of the service name.

    FIX IT ALREADY!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments