I have a cracked touch screen Windows 8 on an ACER Aspire V5. Will a non touch screen replacement work?

Anonymous
2013-07-22T19:41:44+00:00

At the end of last year I went to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, but there were none to be had unless you wanted to pay through the nose.  I had to settle for an Acer Aspire with Windows 8 and touch screen.  Now the screen is cracked in the lower left corner, but the video still works; except for the touch part.  It is machine gunning hits all over the screen, opening, closing, enlarging, modifying, well just mayhem, and I'm not touching the thing.  I took it back were I bought it to have it repaired and they said I would be better off cost wise with a new computer, as the touch screen part is very expensive.  The computer is 6 months old and unusable.  I still owe on it.  Microsoft played a dirty trick on us by forcing Windows 8 when we didn't want it, and Acer did the same forcing ultra-thin touch screens priced out of sight.  It really is tough as I use it in my work.

I want to know if I had a non touch screen put on it, and they are available at reasonable cost, would Windows 8 be useable or would it not work at all?  I could get along without touch screen if it at least was usable.  I did try turning the touch off, but there was no option in Control Panel for it.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-03T01:58:32+00:00

    Disabling the Multi-touch driver did it for me. I'd put my laptop away because I hadn't figured out a solution on my own. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-23T22:23:34+00:00

    Same thing happens to my computer for a while... well kinda glad i'm not the only one with bad luck when it comes to laptops

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-03T16:30:29+00:00

    At the end of last year I went to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, but there were none to be had unless you wanted to pay through the nose.  I had to settle for an Acer Aspire with Windows 8 and touch screen.  Now the screen is cracked in the lower left corner, but the video still works; except for the touch part.  It is machine gunning hits all over the screen, opening, closing, enlarging, modifying, well just mayhem, and I'm not touching the thing.  I took it back were I bought it to have it repaired and they said I would be better off cost wise with a new computer, as the touch screen part is very expensive.  The computer is 6 months old and unusable.  I still owe on it.  Microsoft played a dirty trick on us by forcing Windows 8 when we didn't want it, and Acer did the same forcing ultra-thin touch screens priced out of sight.  It really is tough as I use it in my work.

    I want to know if I had a non touch screen put on it, and they are available at reasonable cost, would Windows 8 be useable or would it not work at all?  I could get along without touch screen if it at least was usable.  I did try turning the touch off, but there was no option in Control Panel for it.

    THIS hellped me free https://youtu.be/u0iUvhqiaOU

    We don't have to spend any money

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-12-03T21:37:40+00:00

    See my earlier posting. If you can manage to get into your laptop's settings and disable human interface (i.e. turn the touch screen into a normal screen), then you are probably able to stabilize your screen and continue to use the machine as a normal laptop. Otherwise it costs far too much to replace the screen and you might as well trash it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-12-17T18:03:42+00:00

    I have the same issue. This bus ridiculous!! I just want to be able to disable the touch screen. Why does Acer have to make things so difficult? How does one disable the touch driver? I can't find it in device manager.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments