I have a cracked touch screen Windows 8 on an ACER Aspire V5. Will a non touch screen replacement work?

Anonymous
2013-07-22T19:41:44+00:00

At the end of last year I went to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, but there were none to be had unless you wanted to pay through the nose.  I had to settle for an Acer Aspire with Windows 8 and touch screen.  Now the screen is cracked in the lower left corner, but the video still works; except for the touch part.  It is machine gunning hits all over the screen, opening, closing, enlarging, modifying, well just mayhem, and I'm not touching the thing.  I took it back were I bought it to have it repaired and they said I would be better off cost wise with a new computer, as the touch screen part is very expensive.  The computer is 6 months old and unusable.  I still owe on it.  Microsoft played a dirty trick on us by forcing Windows 8 when we didn't want it, and Acer did the same forcing ultra-thin touch screens priced out of sight.  It really is tough as I use it in my work.

I want to know if I had a non touch screen put on it, and they are available at reasonable cost, would Windows 8 be useable or would it not work at all?  I could get along without touch screen if it at least was usable.  I did try turning the touch off, but there was no option in Control Panel for it.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-02T09:42:52+00:00

    Hi,

    I've made it :) I have changed Acer V5-571p in V5-571G. But I have changed the all parts of LCD screen: front cover, back cover, LCD with hinges.

    One important thing is that, the LCD is different from other V5 models because it's LED, it's slim and display screen cable have only 30 pins. Most of offered LCD Screens have 40 pins.

    Total cost of new parts was 95$.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-05T10:22:00+00:00

    Hi, my son's acer v5 14" touch was stomped on in his school bag in a protective bag but the screen is damaged (not cracked tho) where did you get the the new front cover and LCD screen please?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-12T17:14:46+00:00

    I had the exact same thing happen to me last night. They said it would cost 250 for me to fix it. I don't even know how it happened. I opened up my computer and it was cracked in the lower left corner.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-12T17:15:42+00:00

    Where did you go through to get that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-09-03T18:48:46+00:00

    I know this is way later, and mine is an Asus Transformer Book T100, but My screen cracked after only a week of having it. I ended up going into the device manager, going to human interface devices, and disabling the touch screen in there. Now it works perfectly fine as a regular laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments