I have a cracked touch screen Windows 8 on an ACER Aspire V5. Will a non touch screen replacement work?

Anonymous
2013-07-22T19:41:44+00:00

At the end of last year I went to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, but there were none to be had unless you wanted to pay through the nose.  I had to settle for an Acer Aspire with Windows 8 and touch screen.  Now the screen is cracked in the lower left corner, but the video still works; except for the touch part.  It is machine gunning hits all over the screen, opening, closing, enlarging, modifying, well just mayhem, and I'm not touching the thing.  I took it back were I bought it to have it repaired and they said I would be better off cost wise with a new computer, as the touch screen part is very expensive.  The computer is 6 months old and unusable.  I still owe on it.  Microsoft played a dirty trick on us by forcing Windows 8 when we didn't want it, and Acer did the same forcing ultra-thin touch screens priced out of sight.  It really is tough as I use it in my work.

I want to know if I had a non touch screen put on it, and they are available at reasonable cost, would Windows 8 be useable or would it not work at all?  I could get along without touch screen if it at least was usable.  I did try turning the touch off, but there was no option in Control Panel for it.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-18T17:31:22+00:00

    Same problem here- laptop fell, screen cracked, the machine gun. Working perfectly otherwsie, so what I did was- 

    Device Manager - Human Interface Device - USB Input Device - Disable.


    It should be done

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-18T03:26:34+00:00

    HELLO TO ALL.

    I CRACKED MY SCREEN THIS MORNING, ;-(

    TO TURN OFF TOUCH FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

    1. GO TO CONTROL PANEL

    2.GO TO HARDWARE & SOUND

    1. GO TO DEVICE MANAGER
    2. GO TO HUMAN INTERFACE DEVICES
    3. ON THE BOTTOM DOUBLE CLICK "USB INPUT DEVICES"
    4. DISABLE IT

    7.RESTART COMPUTER

    THAT'S IT HAVE A GREAT DAY

    THIS WORKS ON WINDOWS 8.

    NOW IF SOMEONE CAN POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION FOR A REPLACEMENT DIGITIZER FOR MY ACER ASPIRE V5-571P-6473

    THANKS

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-21T01:04:23+00:00

    I have the same computer as Lee and these options are not available. Also it acts just the same as his. I have tried everything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-13T00:28:54+00:00

    I had the exact problem except its in the top right

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-09T09:51:53+00:00

    Hi , sorry this is a bit late.

    The exact same thing happened to mine and this is what i did to fix it.

    1. Windows key + X and select device manager.

    1. Click **Human interface device.**and expand it.

    3. Delete the all the drivers except " bluetooth, radio and usb"


    It should work , after you turn off your laptop and back if it still does it just follow these steps again :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments