I have a cracked touch screen Windows 8 on an ACER Aspire V5. Will a non touch screen replacement work?

Anonymous
2013-07-22T19:41:44+00:00

At the end of last year I went to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, but there were none to be had unless you wanted to pay through the nose.  I had to settle for an Acer Aspire with Windows 8 and touch screen.  Now the screen is cracked in the lower left corner, but the video still works; except for the touch part.  It is machine gunning hits all over the screen, opening, closing, enlarging, modifying, well just mayhem, and I'm not touching the thing.  I took it back were I bought it to have it repaired and they said I would be better off cost wise with a new computer, as the touch screen part is very expensive.  The computer is 6 months old and unusable.  I still owe on it.  Microsoft played a dirty trick on us by forcing Windows 8 when we didn't want it, and Acer did the same forcing ultra-thin touch screens priced out of sight.  It really is tough as I use it in my work.

I want to know if I had a non touch screen put on it, and they are available at reasonable cost, would Windows 8 be useable or would it not work at all?  I could get along without touch screen if it at least was usable.  I did try turning the touch off, but there was no option in Control Panel for it.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-02T05:53:10+00:00

    I had the same problem until 2 weeks ago when I said screw this and bought a mouse for my computer. I had no problems with the cursor going crazy all over the screen despite the three cracks I have on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-29T01:45:37+00:00

    Please can you tell me how you broke your screen,

    My screen also broke in left bottom corner unexpectedly without the laptop falling or anything. It might be a manufacturing default, so I can put a claim against acer. Your help will be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-21T11:25:02+00:00

    same here, a screw on the rear side came loose twice now and its broken in the same place . Manufacturing issue with out a doubt but they wont cover because its out of warranty ..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-21T11:22:48+00:00

    I have the same issue. its because a screw (twice now as come undone from the rear) a bleeding manufacturing issue I guess . Open the laptop and pop my screw broke .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-09-03T18:48:46+00:00

    I know this is way later, and mine is an Asus Transformer Book T100, but My screen cracked after only a week of having it. I ended up going into the device manager, going to human interface devices, and disabling the touch screen in there. Now it works perfectly fine as a regular laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments