I have a cracked touch screen Windows 8 on an ACER Aspire V5. Will a non touch screen replacement work?

Anonymous
2013-07-22T19:41:44+00:00

At the end of last year I went to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, but there were none to be had unless you wanted to pay through the nose.  I had to settle for an Acer Aspire with Windows 8 and touch screen.  Now the screen is cracked in the lower left corner, but the video still works; except for the touch part.  It is machine gunning hits all over the screen, opening, closing, enlarging, modifying, well just mayhem, and I'm not touching the thing.  I took it back were I bought it to have it repaired and they said I would be better off cost wise with a new computer, as the touch screen part is very expensive.  The computer is 6 months old and unusable.  I still owe on it.  Microsoft played a dirty trick on us by forcing Windows 8 when we didn't want it, and Acer did the same forcing ultra-thin touch screens priced out of sight.  It really is tough as I use it in my work.

I want to know if I had a non touch screen put on it, and they are available at reasonable cost, would Windows 8 be useable or would it not work at all?  I could get along without touch screen if it at least was usable.  I did try turning the touch off, but there was no option in Control Panel for it.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-18T03:30:38+00:00

    On my computer (Acer Aspire V5) they were listed as HID-compliant devices under the Human Interface Devices heading. I disabled all 10 and that seems to be working so far.

    worked for me, finally a solution without buying yet another laptop

    One thing I did notice was that after disabling only the touch screen driver my laptop monitor now is a generic monitor and will not display high res when on wide screen mode??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-04T08:18:18+00:00

    Can I disable the touchscreen on my notebook?

    There is not a setting to disable the touch-functionality on Acer notebooks with a touchscreen. The driver that controls the touchscreen can be disabled through the device manager. Acer does not recommend that you disable your touchscreen driver.

    Use the following steps to disable your touch screen driver:

    1. Press the Windows () key + C, or swipe in from the right edge of the screen to open your Charms.
    2. Tap or click Search, then type Device Manager.
    3. From search results, tap or click Device Manager.
    4. Tap or click the arrow next to Human Interface Devices.
    5. From the list, look for the driver HID-compliant touchscreen. If you do not see this driver and they are listed as "USB Input Device", try disabling and re-enabling one at a time until the touch screen stops responding.
    6. Right-click the driver, then select Disable.
    7. Click Yes. If prompted, restart the computer.

    After the computer restarts the touch-functionality should be disabled. To get your touch-functionality back, re-enable the drive you disabled and restart the computer if necessary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-26T01:44:22+00:00

    Device Manager > Human Interface Devices > Right click "HID compliant touch screen" Click "Disable".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-01T00:43:26+00:00

    Usually there is just one "HID - Compliant Touch Screen" which you need disabled.   Go to Control Panel  --->  Device Manager  ---> Human Interface Devices. Scroll the list for the "Touch Screen" line.

    Right click and click disable and OK. 

    Before I had issues, I set up extended screens, which, if any problems such as this, I could plug in a screen with possible better use over the touchscreen.  The only solution though, and a constant, was to let it sit for about an hour and the "machine gun" touch indicators hitting your screen eventually dissipates to where you can move a mouse and click quickly to disable your touch screen. 

    Actually, it warmed up to where nothing was necessary to use the computer, but precaution is best. Disable so on a restart you won't have to revisit the issue.   

    I have an 2012 Acer Aspire V5 , same issue as many -- cracked on lower left with no reason. Closed it one night, next morning, cracked.  It appears to me that the casing is slightly higher on the left than right, and given time, the torque stress of opening and closing might eventually crack the screen. Can even be an uneven thing having to do with pulling up on one side or the other (if you're predominately right handed or left handed)

    I eventually disabled the screen, after flailing through trying to type in the password, move the mouse, etc. Finally got it. Sadly, I upgraded to Windows 10  later and it reset my touch screen... arrrghhhh!!!  Same problem over again.  Waited my two hours or heating up the laptop and then disabled the screen. I'm under a drop, kick, spill or break warantee, so it's goes to the shop soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-07-17T11:38:25+00:00

    This is indeed does appear to be an extremely serious design flaw. The tiny screws on the underside of the laptop work loose and get lost, and then the panel holding the keyboard rides up and its sharp corners can just crack the corner of the screen at any point when the laptop is closed. I had this myself and was fortunately able after considerable effort to get into the control panel and disable the human interface and this seems to work. But as others have said, it's not easy when your windows are going crazy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments