I have a cracked touch screen Windows 8 on an ACER Aspire V5. Will a non touch screen replacement work?

Anonymous
2013-07-22T19:41:44+00:00

At the end of last year I went to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 on it, but there were none to be had unless you wanted to pay through the nose.  I had to settle for an Acer Aspire with Windows 8 and touch screen.  Now the screen is cracked in the lower left corner, but the video still works; except for the touch part.  It is machine gunning hits all over the screen, opening, closing, enlarging, modifying, well just mayhem, and I'm not touching the thing.  I took it back were I bought it to have it repaired and they said I would be better off cost wise with a new computer, as the touch screen part is very expensive.  The computer is 6 months old and unusable.  I still owe on it.  Microsoft played a dirty trick on us by forcing Windows 8 when we didn't want it, and Acer did the same forcing ultra-thin touch screens priced out of sight.  It really is tough as I use it in my work.

I want to know if I had a non touch screen put on it, and they are available at reasonable cost, would Windows 8 be useable or would it not work at all?  I could get along without touch screen if it at least was usable.  I did try turning the touch off, but there was no option in Control Panel for it.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-14T07:18:49+00:00

    On my computer (Acer Aspire V5) they were listed as HID-compliant devices under the Human Interface Devices heading. I disabled all 10 and that seems to be working so far.

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-27T23:01:44+00:00

      Apparently there is no way to turn off the touch screen

    Did you try going into Device Manager, finding the Multi-touch device and disabling its driver?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-23T11:13:35+00:00

    Hi Lee,

    If you want to disable touch screen in Windows 8, then you can follow these steps.

    a.      Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.

    b.      Go to Hardware and Sound and click on the Pen and Touch option.

    c.       In the Pen and Touch window, tap on Touch tab.

    d.      Uncheck the box for “Use your finger as an input device”.

    e.      Click on Apply to disable the touch display.

    As your touch screen has broken, I would suggest you to contact Acer support for the query. They can assist you better with the hardware issues.

    http://community.acer.com/

    Feel free to get in touch with us for any queries related to Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-01T03:34:42+00:00

    I took it back were I bought it to have it repaired and they said I would be better off cost wise with a new computer, as the touch screen part is very expensive.  The computer is 6 months old and unusable.

    Surely it is still under manufacturer's warranty?  Even if your retailer is not being helpful Acer might be.

    I want to know if I had a non touch screen put on it, and they are available at reasonable cost, would Windows 8 be useable or would it not work at all?  I could get along without touch screen if it at least was usable.  I did try turning the touch off, but there was no option in Control Panel for it.

    If the screen is viewable you can just disable the Touch screen drivers.   The most likely problem is the multi-touch.   FWIW I had to disable my multi-touch driver in the winter for the same reason.  The pen still worked then so there was not much loss.  Also, I would experiment with Touch and Pen Calibration because surely that would be an opportunity for the driver to take note of spurious interrupts and hopefully learn to ignore them?   OTOH some other experimenters claim that deleting the Calibration dataset and not trying to save another one gives them better results; so YMMV.

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle


    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-07-23T13:20:12+00:00

    I followed the directions to Pen & Touch once the screen settled down enough to be accessed.  On the Touch tab there are three options: "Touch action - Equivalent mouse action", "Double-tap Double-click" and "Press and hold -  Right-click".  I could not access "Touch action" with the settings button, however I could change the other two in "settings".  At the bottom is "Touch Feedback" with two boxes to check or uncheck.  1)Show visual feedback when touching screen," (not checked). 2) Optimize visual feedback for projection to an external monitor" which is not available.  I see no box that gives option "Use your finger as an input device."  It must be an Acer thing.

    Yet another surprise.  After a period of time while the screen goes crazy with random hits all over the screen, it stops suddenly and acts like a normal touch screen.  It is good until it is powered down and brought back up, then the craziness starts again.  I can't imagine it will be very stable if it gets bounced around much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments