Windows Live Mail Won't Open Saved .eml Files in Windows 8

Anonymous
2013-07-17T06:07:00+00:00

Running on Windows 8 with Windows Live Mail.  If you save an email to a file it is saved with an .eml file extension.  These files can then be saved anywhere (i.e. your desktop).

Then when double clicking the file the mail client (Windows Live Mail) would open with the email in the Inbox.  Old Outlook clients worked the same way.  I've had this working AOK with Windows 7 for some time.

With the same scenario under Windows 8 the Windows Live Mail client opens but the email is no where to be found.

The file association is AOK:  .eml = Windows Live Mail  (from File "Set Associations" screen).

Even just saving the email to a file from the client (Windows Live Mail) and then immediately trying to select it again does not work (after deleting the original email from the client).

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-17T11:54:16+00:00

 Then when double clicking the file the mail client (Windows Live Mail) would open with the email in the Inbox.  Old Outlook clients worked the same way.  I've had this working AOK with Windows 7 for some time.

 

With the same scenario under Windows 8 the Windows Live Mail client opens but the email is no where to be found.

 

The file association is AOK:  .eml = Windows Live Mail  (from File "Set Associations" screen).

 

Even just saving the email to a file from the client (Windows Live Mail) and then immediately trying to select it again does not work (after deleting the original email from the client).

Double clicking the file will open the file.  It will not be in the Inbox.

Windows Live Mail will be partially running.  Access to Windows Live Mail will require starting Windows Live Mail with the shortcut.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-28T20:21:18+00:00

I've no idea of the significance of the hash key. I'm fairly sure you don't need it, and it will be entered automatically by the program that does need it when necessary. 

Right-click on the .eml key that's causing problems and select Permissions. Use the Advanced options to give your user account full control of the key. Then try changing the Progid again. If you're still barred, use the advanced options to take ownership of the key.

Ensure also that WindowsLiveMail.Email.1 is listed under OpenWithProgids (with zero-value binary data).

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-21T17:03:01+00:00

    OK, in response to Firedog's comments I did some more tests.  I have access to another computer with 32 bit Windows 7 on it and Norton 360 and System Mechanic (just like my new Windows 8 system).

    It opened up the saved .EML files AOK.

    So it is looking more and more like it's the Windows 7 vs. Windows 8 difference.

    I've still got those sample .EML files ready to go (and have saved that log file as well that I uploaded previously).

    Thanks all,

    Jess

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-21T20:14:59+00:00

    I have access to another computer with 32 bit Windows 7 on it and Norton 360 and System Mechanic ... It opened up the saved .EML files AOK.

    That doesn't really tell you anything at all. It's changes that those programs are looking for and disallowing if they don't understand them. If you haven't made the same changes on your W7 machine (e.g. repairing or re-installing WE or Outlook) then they won't balk at the registry entries that are there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-22T01:32:42+00:00

    I installed Windows Live Mail on a Windows 8 computer.

    I did not open the program to add an email account.

    I moved an .eml file to the computer.

    Clicking on the .eml file opened the add account window.

    Cancelling the add account window opened the .eml file.

    The Windows Live Mail Registry keys on both Windows 8 computers are the same.

    Without the correct Registry keys, the program defaults and file associations mean nothing.

    I agree with Noel that System Mechanic and Norton 360 are the problem makers.

    Without the correct Registry keys, the log files may not help.

    Uninstall System Mechanic and Norton 360 and reinstall Windows Live Mail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments